1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Laptop cannot get onto internet from Android hotspot

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JohnDELLN7010, Aug 18, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. JohnDELLN7010

JohnDELLN7010 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a Dell N7010 laptop and a Moto g Android phone updated to Android 9

Even before the update I turn on the hotspot on the phone and it connects to the laptop the laptop says " connected internet access " but I cannot get on the internet

the only internet I have is on my phone I
    do not have Wi-Fi or anything else here

in order to update my laptop which I tried with new drivers I have to go to a public Wi-Fi hotspot and my laptop has no problem connecting to Lowe's home improvement Wi-Fi which is great
    but I cannot use my phone as a hotspot and get my laptop to connect to the internet which I really really really need.

Does anyone know why and can help me ???

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think getting an internet service for your house is much cheaper than using your cell phone's data plan.

3. JohnDELLN7010

I do not have a house
    I live on someone's property in exchange for helping in a repair shop and anything else.
    I only need to use the laptop on the internet very rarely like to activate some software etc
    if I can afford an internet connection where I live I would not have posted this question

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

In the lower right hand corner Systray, right click on the Network icon. Choose Open Network and Internet Settings. Under Status, does it say "you're connected to the internet" ?

5. JohnDELLN7010

I'll have to check on that tomorrow afternoon and try it
    But previously when you hold her the cursor over the Wi-Fi spot it says connected internet access

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

In the latest version of Windows 10 version 1903, Hovering the mouse on top of the network icon in the systray displays just "internet access" , not "connected internet access". Are you confusing it with your cell phone's WiFi connection status?

7. JohnDELLN7010

That's true but when you open up the Wi-Fi where it shows all available connections it says connected

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

If it does not display the words "internet access" , then you don't have that.

9. JohnDELLN7010

Okay for the last time the very first post says it is connected and it has internet access and I cannot get on the internet for some reason
    it is
    CONNECTED AND IT HAS INTERNET ACCESS AND I CANNOT GET ON THE INTERNET

10. JohnDELLN7010

And it is Windows 10
    the way I bought it used

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you ever been able to connect to the internet using cell phone hotspot?

If not, did you have your cell phone service provider to activate the Hot Spot service?

12. JohnDELLN7010

I have a Moto g straight talk phone and on this phone I've never been able to use it as a hotspot to connect the laptop to but when I had other phones on straight talk also I was able to connect with the laptop I believe if I remember right

and I am so tired of having to constantly login to the site over and over again just to post an answer

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

You do have a data service plan with Straight Talk, right ?

14. JohnDELLN7010

I don't know what anyone does not understand about what I post
    obviously if I have a phone on straight talk I have a data plan with it
    obviously when my laptop says..... connected ...and also.... internet access ......I have a data plan on my phone.
    I'm not trying to be nasty but I posted this a while ago and I'm getting a bunch of responses and no help

15. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What's not clear if your cell plan includes hot spot capability. I'm with Sprint and my plan had to have the hot spot functionality in it for my phone to operate as a hot spot. Many if not all carriers account for usage differently when your phone is operating as a hot spot. For my Sprint plan, I get unlimited data when I use it from my phone only. When I use data from my phone as a hot spot, that usage is capped at 50GB a month.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice