Laptop can't connect to 2.4Ghz frequencies, only 5Ghz frequencies

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Soilydude

My Windows 8.1 laptop, fitted with an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN wireless adapter, suddenly stopped automatically connecting to my router a few months ago. I attempted to connect wirelessly to multiple other routers, all to no avail. My laptop could only connect through an ethernet cable/tethered hotspot. I then moved houses and got the internet set up on a new provider and suddenly my laptop could connect wirelessly again! Sadly, after trying to connect to my university's wi-fi, I found out that the laptop wasn't fixed, it was simply able to connect to my new 5Ghz internet but still had trouble connecting to 2.4Ghz access points.

I've tried everything I can to fix this as my laptop is too vital to my studies for me to be without it even for a short period of time, therefore sending it off for diagnostic and repairs is out of the question for now. So far I have tried:

Installing the latest Windows 8.1 drivers for the card (currently on v.15.14.0.2)
Replacing the wireless card with a new one (same make and model)
A complete, fresh re-installation of Windows 8.1

Running out of ideas on what to try and so turning to the community for help. Even if you're not sure of a fix, determining the problem itself would also be a big help. Thanks much in advance!

TerryNet

Terry
Try the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

If that doesn't work then try the latest driver directly from Intel's site.

TerryNet

Terry
I have no experience with dual range adapters. If there is some setting--maybe in the adapter Advanced Properties in Device Manager--to choose which range to use make sure it is set for 2.4 Ghz.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Is the 2.4Ghz range turned on in your adapter.

Try using InSSIDer to find out what it sees.
Or Xirrus WIFI Inspector

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online