1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop cant find hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by r-man38938, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r-man38938

r-man38938 Thread Starter

i bought a used dell latitude d600 at auction. no hard drive..i just installed a WD 7k 16m(whatever that means?) 250gb.hd...i put in a windows xp reinstallation cd....i was following the text on the screen to boot it up..it said it cant find a hard drive.... now what do i do?

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

The easy way is to use the manufacturers software to install the HD and format it to receive the type of file system you have in mind. Windows setup will not see it if it's not formatted.

Go to the Western Digital web site for the software if you didn't get it with the drive.

3. r-man38938

no i didnt get software with it. so this will tell me how to format it.. and also how do i know which type of file system i have in mind?(what does that mean?)

4. surferdude2

surferdude2

If you are going to install Windows XP, you will want the NTFS file system.

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    u will also want to go to the dell website look under support drivers and downloads and get the drivers for your model of computer and yes there are plenty of xp drivers listed for that model.when u put in the cd u have to reboot then hit F12 then it should say hit any key to boot from the cd or it will give u the boot order which is to have it boot from the cd drive.and then go from there.ntfs file is what xp uses.just follow the instructions on the cd its very easy.wd is the name of your hard drive it stands for western digital which by the way are very good hard drives.on dell computers its more than likely a SATA or IDE drive so they should be ok and not have to do anything further than just installing the operating system. since it more than likely came with xp they wont have problems finding dell drivers.hope this helps.i have a houseful of dell computers and they are one of the easiest ones to put an operating system in.

6. r-man38938

ok guys... thx for all your help.....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice