Laptop can't find shared docs folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beim4

Computer guy set up our new laptop and said we could drag files into shared docs folder on desktop and then laptop would be able to access them. We must be dumb, but we can't find these files. Shared documents folder on laptop displays other items. The shared docs folder on our PC is marked as shared. Clicking on network places from the laptop displays nothing. There is an icon in the task bar that shows a wireless connection, and of course we are able to access the internet. Please help - we're clueless with networking!

You need to find the shared folder on the OTHER machine.

Open Network Places, and run the 'Set up a home or small office' wizard first.

When that is done, run the 'View workgroup computer' wizard. This should enable you to 'see' the other machine, and so see the shared folder. Note: Both machines must have the same workgroup name, i.e. HOME, or WORKGROUP, when you run the first wizard.

Scorp.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You should be able to right click on My Documents on the "server" machine and uncheck the box in properties "Make this folder private"

TerryNet

Terry
beim4, from what you said, chances are that "Computer guy" enabled file and printer sharing that CS.Scorpion described.

When you first go into My Network Places you should see nothing. Click on 'View Workgroup Computers.' Now what do you see? If you see an icon for the desktop, double click on it. You should now see the shares (including the Shared Documents folder) belonging to that machine.

beim4

Nothing works yet. I tried the wizard, naming workgroup HOME. But when I go to network places, and try to find workgroups, it tells me laptop does not have permission to access HOME workgroup-there are no workgroups to display. I also checked to make sure the shared folder on the desktop was not marked private and it wasn't. Any other suggestions? Looks like I may be calling the guy for help tomorrow. My son has a bunch of music downloaded in his iTunes and he's like to move it to his new desktop.

beim4

A couple other thoughts. My son's laptop (XP) starts without requiring him to log on. Also, it uses Norton. Could either of those things be blocking access to the shared folder on the desktop?

beim4

Sorry - me again. Just noted that the desktop does display both computers when I click on View Workgroups. However, when I right-click to see properties, the Desktop displays the computer name and the workgroup HOME. However, when I right-click on the Laptop, I get an error saying The Server___Laptop could not be found in the network. I can click OK to still see Properties for the laptop, but it shows the laptop name but no workgroup.

TerryNet

Terry
3rd party firewalls (Norton, Zone Alarm, McAfee, etc.) must be properly configured (trusted zone) to allow access from your other computer(s). Best to uninstall the firewall, get the network/workgroup working, then reinstall and configure the firewall.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online