1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop causing internet to disconnect

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Furdo, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Furdo

Furdo Thread Starter

Hi all,

My parents just purchased 2 secondhand Acer Aspire 5750g laptops which I’ve given new SSDs and fresh installs of Windows 10.

At home they have a BT Homehub which they connect their iPhones, iPads, laptops and Amazon Echo to.

When connecting to the hub using one of the laptops via either Ethernet or WiFi, the hub loses connection to the internet. If I disable the network adapters the connection restores, but will immediately fail if I enable them.

Although the machines are quite old the drivers are up to date and I am able to use them on my network at home without fault.

I’ve tried factory resetting the hub and laptops but the problem is still occurring and occurs regardless of the number of devices connected to the hub.

The hub’s firmware is updated automatically and is up to date.

If the wireless adapter is enabled, the issue occurs regardless as to whether the laptop is connected to the hub or not, even if the WiFi is set to off (but the adapter isn’t disabled) the hub falls over.

I’ve attached the first page of the hub’s log in the hope someone knowledgable will spot something obvious.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Attached Files:

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Is that laptop setup to get a dynamic IP address and not static IP. If not there may be an ip conflict.

3. Furdo

Furdo Thread Starter

It’s set to dynamic.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If it is happening on both Ethernet and Wireless, I suspect a bad router/hub.

5. Furdo

Furdo Thread Starter

Thanks Couriant, that’s my conclusion. I’ve got a spare FRITZ!Box 3490 which I’m going to try tonight

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Let us know! I assume that box is supported by the service?

7. Furdo

Furdo Thread Starter

It should be but their support wasn’t any help! I took the laptop back to their house last night with the new router and oddly the issue had resolved itself!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice