Laptop CD Drive doesn't work, need help getting an OS installed...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kirbalicious

Ok, so the laptop cd drive looks like it's reading a cd, but then it doesn't. Used a Win 98 boot disk to see if that would work, and when I change to the cd drive, it says unable to read. Is there any way that I can possibly fix my CD drive, or somehow get an operating system, even if it's not windows, into my laptop so I can maybe fix the problem from there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Always possible that there's something wrong with the drive. Your specs look like a desktop. What OS is on the laptop and are you able to get into Windows?

Kirbalicious

it's a laptop actually, not the one that's in my signature, and there is not operating system at the moment. this is why I do not know where to go with this. The cd drive model number is SOSW-852S.

the specs are as follow:
Pentium 4 3.4ghz
1gb ram
radeon 9700 128mb
60gb Hard drive 5200 rpm

Kirbalicious

well i tried xp and 98, but the problem is the cd doesn't work, so obviously i cannot boot either

Kirbalicious

yes it is. it can boot from a floppy, as it has recognized my 98 restore disk, but there is no OS, and i need a cd to install 98 or xp. I was thinking of loading on 95, and then downloading the appropriate drivers to rule out that as an issue, but i do not know if that will work.

With the XP CD you shouldn't need anything extra to start the installation process. Any background on the laptop? Was it working and what happened to the OS that was on it?

Try Puppy Linux - if it doesn't boot from that, then it is almost definitely your drive. If it is, the only thing I can suggest is taking advantage of your warrantee.

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/

There are no drivers if there is no OS - the motherboard will recognize the drive.

Kirbalicious

no it is not recognizing the cd drive, therefore it does not recognize the xp cd unfortunately

and background on my computer was it was defective when i got it, i wanted a refund, but my company only wanted to fix it, so i filed a claim, and i was allowed to keep it. one of the defects was the dvd drive not working. when i tried to reinstall the drivers, it crashed, and nothing was working, so i reinstalled xp, it crashed during the installation, so i was left with no operating system. I've fdisk'ed and created a new partition and as i said, tried to install 98 and xp, but nothing worked

in hindsight, i probably shouldn't have tried to test the drivers, as it seems like the fault is in the hardware itself. I don't know why my computer crashed, but it did. I obviously am not able to contact the company about this since I am no longer qualified for their tech support

Heh, well, if the drive wasn't working before, then this kind of problem should be expected :)

Look in your BIOS and see if the drive is even listed. If it isn't, there's a chance the cable has come loose (really unlikely on a laptop, but not impossible). The only way to tell for sure would be to take the laptop apart and check the cables (both power and data). If the cables are fine, then the drive must be bad, I can't think of any other reason this would happen, unless it's the motherboard (but I'd bet on the drive).

Optical drives go bad all the time, this wouldn't be the first by far... but that laptop is worth spending some money on, so if it's not under any kind of warrantee, just buy a drive and install it yourself. It looks like you can get them for about $100 on eBay.

One word of warning... if you've never taken a laptop apart before, you're in for a surprise. Be careful :)

Kirbalicious

lol yea i took it apart once to examine the fans (another defect) and its much different than what i've dealt with before. The cd rom does show up in the bios, it still lights up and it still makes noise like it's trying to read the cd, but it simply doesn't work. So i guess I just have a bad drive.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'll try one more time. What make/model is the laptop? I have several laptop CD's here, might have a cheap one that you can use. :)

Kirbalicious

JohnWill said:
I'll try one more time. What make/model is the laptop? I have several laptop CD's here, might have a cheap one that you can use. :)
i didn't want to say, because i don't want to give the company a bad rep for providing me with a bad computer, but it is an alienware area51m notebook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online