1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Charger reads "Plugged in, not charging"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Longstreet85, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Longstreet85

Longstreet85 Thread Starter

Symptoms:

1. It reads 99% available (Plugged in, not charging).
    2. HP Battery Care Adviser tells me that the battery needs replacing.
    3. Battery was losing a charge (Plugged in, not charging) whilst on the HP dock. I transferred it to the charge on the computer itself and it charged up to 99%. The dock still reads my peripherals (external hard drives) just fine.
    4. I don't need portability with my notebook. The reason I have it is because I typically spend nine months of the year in one country and three months in another. Otherwise, I'd simply use a desktop. So, I've only used the battery without the charger in a handful of times.
    5. Notebook is only eleven months old. I have no other problems.
    6. I run Vista 32bit SP1
    7. I read online that a BIOS flash may solve the problem. I'm not too keen on a BIOS flash; but I checked just to make sure, and yes, HP released a new BIOS 7-2009. My own is, of course, a year old.

Thoughts:

1. notebook runs fine; if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    2. This computer is like the Berlin wall of my life. If this goes, the whole thing goes; so I tend to be paranoid.

What do you think? Do I get a new battery? Do I just be fastidious about backups and not worry about it? Your thoughts appreciated.

Thank you.

~Longstreet85

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you don't use it on battery then I would say no need to replace it - its not required for the proper operating of the computer. It does provide one nice feature, if the power goes out then you can keep running the laptop and not have it power off on you and lose your data. However being less then a year old I would be contacting HP and complaining, a battery should last more then that. If HP advises a BIOS update when you talk to them then I would do it, if it breaks its their fault, but it doesn't affect the data on the drive which if you care about then you'll already have it backed up to at least one other location.

3. Longstreet85

Longstreet85 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

Follow up question:

So if this battery goes completely dead (thinking worst possible situation), I could still use the computer so long as it's plugged in, correct?

If so, this is a great relief as I use it 99% of the time as a "desktop replacement."

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Correct, and you can test that by simply removing the battery now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/850743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice