Laptop charges then stops

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Moe13_14

Hey There.
I have a problem with my laptop. It started off working fine but recently I started having trouble.
When I plug in the charger, it charges fine but then after 2 minutes the charging led goes off then on then off then on for 4 seconds, as if im taking off the charger, and putting it back on. Then after those 4 seconds or so are up, it starts charging normally again.. then does it a few mins/seconds later.
What is wrong? can it be a driver issue?
Due to this, it never reaches 100% only 10%
I know for sure its not the ac or battery.

Snagglegaster

Banned
Hey There.
I have a problem with my laptop. It started off working fine but recently I started having trouble.
When I plug in the charger, it charges fine but then after 2 minutes the charging led goes off then on then off then on for 4 seconds, as if im taking off the charger, and putting it back on. Then after those 4 seconds or so are up, it starts charging normally again.. then does it a few mins/seconds later.
What is wrong? can it be a driver issue?
Due to this, it never reaches 100% only 10%
I know for sure its not the ac or battery.
Really? How do you know this? If you "know" that the A/C adapter and the battery are good, that doesn't leave anything but a defective voltage regulator on the motherboard as a cause.

Moe13_14

Umm I "know" it because I tried them both on another laptop of the same model and it worked?
Acer aspire one series.
Brand new battery.. charged to 100% only like 6 times before this happen.
If I put in my old battery that cant hold a charge, this dosnt happen to it. only with that brand new battery. it use to work and charge well but did this out of no where, so no its not the motherboard.

Triple6

Rob
So its not the battery, motherboard, or charger? That doesn't leave anything else.

Where did you get this replacement battery from? It might be a low quality battery that happens to work in the one laptop and not the other. You still haven't mentioned how old the laptop is, or the exact model of the laptop.

Snagglegaster

Banned
So its not the battery, motherboard, or charger? That doesn't leave anything else.

Where did you get this replacement battery from? It might be a low quality battery that happens to work in the one laptop and not the other. You still haven't mentioned how old the laptop is, or the exact model of the laptop.
Yes, from the expanded description of the problem, I really have to think this is due to a bad battery. Though a bad MOBO is a still a strong second place contender.

Moe13_14

Ok the laptop model is Acer Aspire One D250 and yes the netbook.
The age of the netbook I dont think it matters, the old battery died out and i just had to replace it so I brought this one that is all.. I dont know the age anyway, maybe 2 years
It was brought from Amazon
How can the battery be bad when it works perfectly on the other laptop?
It use to work perfect on this laptop for like 5 charges but then started doing this

Triple6

Rob
If it was less then a year old there would be Acer technical support and warranty - that's why I asked. It also establishes how long the first battery lasted - and two years isn't very long for a battery to last.

Ok, so if its not the battery and not the charger then it must be the motherboard, correct? But you also say it can't be that. So that doesn't leave much else.

Snagglegaster

Banned
Moe13_14, the simplest explanation for a problem is usually correct. In your case, everything you post just screams BAD BATTERY! If the GD thing is still in warranty, contact the vendor for support or replacement. If the battery is out of warranty, buy a new one from a better vendor. Chances are, just because you bought the battery through Amazon, doesn't mean you purchased it from Amazon, inc: you probably got it from an affiliate, which gives you additional leverage in replacing the battery. Most vendors would rather eat a defective product even if it is out of warranty rather than get bad reviews.

You've gotten substantial help from 3 forum members who are longtime computer professionals, and so far you haven't shown the slightest hint of appreciation. Ignorant posters don't annoy me, because at some level, we're all ignorant. Ignorant and argumentative is a wholly different issue. Think about adding the phrase, "Thanks for your help" to your vocabulary.

And replace the battery.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts