1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop 'charging' flickers on and off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SensationSama, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SensationSama

SensationSama Thread Starter

Model: IBUYPOWER CZ-17

Greetings Tech-Lords,

I first noticed this issue when playing Counter-Strike. My screen brightness was flickering bright and dim - as if I was unplugging my AC adapter. The game was unplayable, I was lagging hard.

The battery LED on the front of my computer blinks orange, and the battery says that its 'plugged-in, not charging'

After much troubleshooting I replaced the AC adapter. This actually worked, until I was an hour into my gaming session - the problem returned.

I bought a third AC adapter, and verified that the voltage was correct. However, the problem remained. This convinced me the issue was internal.

I purchased a replacement battery, kicking myself for thinking it was the adapter. The replacement battery worked just fine, yet the problem persists.

I've now convinced myself the problem is either with the motherboard, or the circuits that communicate from the adapter to the motherboard.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to have this diagnosed professionally. I can't afford a $100 diagnostic followed by a $200 fix.

Any recommendations that you guys might have would be wonderful. I'm getting ready to give up and migrate to my desktop.

2. TopSho27

TopSho27

It is probably unlikely but the problem could be to do with Windows. Once I plugged in my laptop to charge and Windows kept on saying that its "plugged-in, not charging". So it might be worth a try restarting your laptop. If that does not work then you can try to re-install Windows, however it is still not guaranteed that the problem will be fixed.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    1) Does it still flash with the battery removed ?

2) What version of Windows and is it 32 or 64 bit ?

3) Does the screen and/or the battery Led only flash when playing a game ?

4. SensationSama

1) It doesn't flash with the battery removed.

2) Win 8.1, 64bit

3) The battery - all the time. The screen flicker - only in games (high cpu intensity)

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok thanks but just to be absolutely sure - does the screen still flicker in games with the battery removed ?

6. SensationSama

The computer shuts off immediately when I launch rocket-league. Lower intensity games work fine, aka Runescape LOL

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I would have guessed it's getting too hot but if it shuts off immediately after you start that game it seems unlikely.

Even so if you wish you can log the temps with CoreTemp, this link downloads the stand-alone 32 bit version which should work on any windows computer :- http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/php/download.php?id=2
    Just unzip to a folder and run the exe file, to begin logging do Options > Settings > General tab tick Enable logging box. The logs will be saved to the same folder you unzipped to as CSV files.

You can open and read them with Excel or with this free program :- http://download.cnet.com/CSV-Reader/3000-2077_4-75451336.html

Each time you start CoreTemp it will save a new log file which should tell you the temps just before the computer switches off.

8. SensationSama

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The temps in that log look fine to me.

I doubt having the battery in will make any difference but you can try it if you want.

It could be the graphics card getting hot though so please download this http://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/
    Unzip and run the exe file, then do Options and click on Log Sensors. It saves a .CSV log into the same folder.
    I should have given you this link before, this one can log Cpu and Gpu temps.

10. SensationSama

I'm still not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Allen, I appreciate your help - even if we're not able to solve this.

Let me know if you'd like the CSV. I figured this might tell you everything you need to know.

Also, two additional notes:

When there is no battery in the PC the battery LED is not blinking.

When the battery IS in the PC I don't crash immediately when launching - the flickering returns just minutes following game launch.

Attached Files:

• asd.png
      asd.png
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Agreed, those temps in your screen-shot look fine.

Is the charger's plug a good fit in the laptop's socket ? A poor connection there could cause it to shut-down. A long shot though.

I wouldn't expect it to blink if there's no battery fitted.

12. SensationSama

I'm pretty sure this is the exact diameter plug. In fact, since I tried several AC adapters I doubt that's the issue.

I suppose it is possible that there's a bad connection internally. I actually took of the chassis, to check - but I didn't really know what to look for anyway.

There aren't any loose parts.. I'm sorta blown away that I couldn't find anyone else with my exact issue.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162117

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice