1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop cmos location

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by munkeybear, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. munkeybear

munkeybear Thread Starter

Hi. I need to get into my bios and its got a pasword I don't know. When I open up the laptop to find the cmos battery I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. Does it resemble the one in my pc? Where should I be looking? It's frustrating when you get the whole thing apart and have to put it back together without accomplishing anything. The laptop is a Quantex model TS30T. It's hard to find tech support for them, I believe they are out of business or something. Thanks for your help

2. deuce

deuce

To the best of my knowledge it should be a button battery just like the one in your pc. I don't know laptops that well so I can't tell you were to look. It should be easy to spot... but then again it might be hidden somewhere if you can't find it.

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

Most laptops have 2 internal batteries. One is for the CMOS settings (time, date, etc...) and the other is for the password. Some just have one though...

In any case, you should be looking for a very small battery pack - about the size of a watch batter, but it will have a wire on the end of it that can be unplugged from the motherboard.

As for WHERE it is - somewhere inside is the best I can tell you. It could be anywhere - under the hard drive, just below the screen, under the motherboard... you never know.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try these default passwords:

teX1, xljlbj

5. Tebb

Tebb

I have a Solis, sold by Tigerdirect, TS30-T, I have been told that it is the same as a Quantex. I ran a bois update that that did not take now the laptop will not boot at all. I have had the computer apart but could not find any cmos batteries to pull. The bios chip in in the ram compartment I think. By pulling the bios chip do you think that would help. I don't want to trash the computer as it has a 15 inch screen.
    HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :confused:
    :(

6. LarryCore

LarryCore

Flashing the BIOS has nothing to do with the battery. If you messed up the BIOS you have to fix the BIOS by either replacing the chip or flashing it again (if possible - depends on how bad it is).

If you can't flash it again you will need to find a replacement chip.

Maybe here:

http://www.biosworld.com/

I've never dealt with them, but it looks like the right kind of place for what you are after.

7. Tebb

Tebb

Thanks for the info. The laptop will not boot so I will need to get a new chip. Thanks for the link. I will call them Mon amd let you know how they are to deal with.
    ;) ;) ;) ;)

8. Tebb

Tebb

Today I received A new PLCC bios chip from Biosworld, http:/www.biosworld.com/

Tim, the owner, has been working with me to find the right bios and it works now. Tim has been great and he has a great operation. If anyone has a bios problem you should contact him.

I want to thank LarryCore for the link that saved my laptop.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
    Terry Franklin

9. LarryCore

LarryCore

Thanks for letting us know it worked out.

I'll feel more comfortable referring people to them in the future, too.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice