1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Computer Repair Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AnnoyedOne, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AnnoyedOne

AnnoyedOne Thread Starter

I always come here when I have computer issues, as I am able to find solutions to whatever computer issues I am experiencing. I'm hoping that will be the case in this instance as well. Wondering what is the easiest way to repair a broken ribbon wire on a Compaq laptop computer, & where to purchase reasonably priced products to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and complete model number of that Compaq laptop?

Which ribbon wire are you referring to?

----------------------------------------------------------

3. AnnoyedOne

The Ribbon Wire to which I'm referring, is located on the left side of the computer which connects the screen to the keyboard. As for the requested info, I'll have to check, then I'll update this next time I'm online. Thanks for the interest & reply.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Also advise what the part/product number(P/N) on it is.

That will help to confirm the exact model number of that laptop.

------------------------------------------------------

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you open up the screen there will likely be a part number on the ribbon which by the way does not connect the screen to the keyboard but to the motherboard or graphics card.

6. AnnoyedOne

I don't know how to open up the screen to access the ribbon wire. I could just see that it was broken under the protective plastic cap that covers it. All I know is when the laptop is on, I don't see anything on the screen. When this issue first occurred, was able to see the content on the screen, so long as I didn't open the screen more than a few inches. If I opened it completely, the content would disappear & the screen was completely black.

Referring to the previous reply, where is the P/N located? Want to be certain that I provide the proper information in my reply. Thanks.

7. jamesx121

jamesx121

one :::
    do U travel with your lap top or just use it around the house----
    if U don't want to try to remove the screen yourself from the lap-top or pay a repair shop
    to fix your screen----
    U can turn your lap top into a desk top---look either on the sides or back for either
    a VGA / DVI / or HMDI port---
    U can hook a separate monitor to this port and just use the lap top as a desk top--
    but--
    let us know what lap top U have---we can give better advice on that exact model---
    and there are videos on "YouTube" showing how to change out a monitor screen on
    lap tops--
    James

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That Compaq laptop's model name/model number and its part/product number(P/N) are located on labels on the bottom of its case or inside the battery compartment.

------------------------------------------------------------

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you can;t open it up how are you going too replace it? Are you taking someone? If so they can order you the part too.

10. AnnoyedOne

It's an old laptop. Put it away long ago, as I had since purchaesed a newer one a few years ago. Just thought I'd like to be able to access my old one to see what's on there & maybe transfer data to the new one or an external hard drive. No I don't travel with it. Strictly for personal use. I've heard that it's possible to hook up a different monitor, however never really did much about it. So just thought I'd look more into that. I'm on a fixed income & can only afford pokey dial up service, so looking at YouTube videos is not an option. Wondering if removing the old monitor & attaching a new one is fairly reasonable as price is concerned & if it's an easy repair or more difficult. Any info & tips would be greatly appreciated & helpful. Still have yet to get the product info added here. Will do that asap. Again, thanks for the replies.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its easier and cheaper to replace to ribbon cable than the whole LCD panel.

If you just want to get stuff off it I would recommend connecting an external monitor to it instead, the laptop likely has a standard VGA port or maybe a HDMI port for an external monitor on the side or back.

It would be great if you could provide the exact model number of the laptop.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice