1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop/Computer Tower Option

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoKeR926, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoKeR926

JoKeR926 Thread Starter

Hey all,

I've recently lost the audio to my laptop and discovered that this was a hardware problem. I understand that it would be very expensive to fix the speakers, since it's integrated with all the other hardware inside. Other than the sound, the computer seems to be working fine. I'm wondering if its possible to buy a cheaper computer tower and link it to my laptop. The OS and audio devices would be run from the tower, and my laptop would be used strictly for typing and visual output, like a makeshift desktop. If this option is possible, can anyone tell me what I need to make this happen? Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. winbob

winbob

Joker,

A more reasonable solution would be to by a pair of inexpensive powered speakers and plug them into the laptop spkr jack. You would be surprised at the sound!

This makes more sense to me than linking to a separate PC to gain sound production.

3. Annorax

Annorax

Yes, it would be a waste to hook a separate computer up to your laptop just for sound, just hook up speakers to it.

But if you really want to do it, I'm sure it's possible.

4. JoKeR926

JoKeR926 Thread Starter

I've tried speakers and even headphones a while ago, but still nothing. The problem isnt really the computer's built in speakers, but something else internally. If not the linkage, does anyone have any other cost-efficient alternatives?

5. shadowcat

shadowcat

6. winbob

winbob

JoKeR.

Since you played that trick on us about the speakers...and it really isn't the speakers...I have to ask, HOW did you "DISCOVER" that this is a Hardware Problem? Sorry but I have to ask...you know, once bitten twice shy!

7. JoKeR926

JoKeR926 Thread Starter

Sorry about the confusion

anyways, computer experts have already taken a look at it. I told them that the computer was fine until one day, when I was turning on the computer, i heard the windows opening tune just fizzling and then dying. They thought it was strange, since it didn't say anything was wrong with the audio components on the device manager. Since then, I've already checked the drivers, done a system restore and a recovery, but still nothing. A lot of people have agreed that there's something definitely wrong with some of the hardware, but first, what do you guys think?

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

There's something definitely wrong with some of the hardware :D

9. JoKeR926

JoKeR926 Thread Starter

Shadowcat:
    The soundblaster you posted on that link looks interesting, does it work like an external sound card?

10. shadowcat

shadowcat

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice