1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop connected to wifi, but limited connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Renegade70, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renegade70

Renegade70 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 5737 Laptop that used to connect to my wifi with no issues. I haven't used it much in about 6 months, and a couple weeks ago I pulled it out and started using it again, and it has a problem now with connecting to my wifi. Laptop connects with no issues at all to a wired connection, and also connects to my father's wifi no problem, but will not connect to mine. My wifi works great on my phone and ipad, but not on this laptop, and I've talked to my ISP to troubleshoot but they had no answers. The laptop detects and connects but always stays in "limited" connection status. Is there any way to figure out what is causing this and how to fix it? I have tried all that I can and have no idea what to do. I appreciate any help i could get with this

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On the laptop "forget" or delete the connection to your router and try again to connect. If not successful ...

Power off the router and laptop. Plug the router in. After it is stable boot the laptop. If still not working try resetting the router to factory defaults. The latter will, of course, require you to reconfigure the router and may not be easy or possible if it is owned by the ISP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice