1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Connectivity And Wireless Router Issues, dynamic vs. static IP conflict?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FoxyKitsuneko, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FoxyKitsuneko

FoxyKitsuneko Thread Starter

Hi there!

I'm having some networking issues that I'd really like to resolve once and for all.

I purchased a new laptop and I'm attempting to connect it to the internet via the wireless network in my home. I have successfully had internet for about 30 seconds before it dropped the signal (this is after I have restarted the modem, router and vonage device). It will keep picking up the signal and then dropping it. A similar situation happened before when I brought a work laptop home. It would knock all the other computers of the network and only log on for a minute or 2 at a time before losing it's connection. My mother's laptop, on the other hand, always connects just fine. All 3 pc's in my house, the desktop and both laptops, are running windows xp pro. My router is a linksys wireless-b broadband router: BEFW11S4.

I'm also having problems when trying to log into my wireless router's web interface. The username and password were not working so I attempted to reset my router and log in with a blank username and admin as the password. I got an Error that said: "Error: User not allowed to log in the User level". When resetting a router, is there a specific procedure aside from pressing in the reset button for about 30 seconds?

I believe this might be a dynamic vs. static IP issue but even if I'm correct I'm unsure how to go about fixing it.

If someone could help me figure this out or at least point me in the right direction I would be so so grateful!

Thank You!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How old is your wireless-b router? They don't last forever. :(

Usually a reset to factory default settings is just holding the reset button for the required time and then waiting. But, check your router user manual to make sure there is not something additional for your particular model.

3. FoxyKitsuneko

FoxyKitsuneko Thread Starter

Thanks for your input!
    The router is a few years old... maybe 2 or 3. Also, unfortunately the manual is long gone so i googled resetting linksys routers and discovered that after the router is reset the new username and password should be username: (blank)
    password: admin

If it's an issue of age then wouldn't my mother's laptop also have the same connectivity problems? I'm thinking that my router might be set up for static IP addresses and since my laptop is set up for dynamic IP addresses it's automatically being given an IP address already in use by anther computer on the network thus knocking them both out? If this is the case then maybe I should assign a static IP address to my laptop?

But your right, router's don't last forever... :_:

4. mtchllro

mtchllro

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can get the manual directly from the Linksys site also. While you're there, I'd pick up the latest firmware for the router and also follow Terry's advice about doing a factory reset.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I asked about the age because I could think of no obvious first suspect, rather unusual for two different PCs to knock other connections out, and you were having trouble (since explained) with default login after a reset to factory defaults.

If somebody is using a static IP in the Dhcp server's address range that indeed could be the problem. The proper fix is for the static IP fan to use an IP that is outside the Dhcp server's address range. Some routers default to "everything" but that can be changed. For example, a reasonable configuration is router LAN 192.168.1.1, Dhcp server assigns 192.168.1.2 through .100, and .101 through .254 are available for static assignment.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice