1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Connects to router, but no internet. Says access local. Please help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by user21, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. user21

user21 Thread Starter

I'm working on a friends laptop. It is running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I've tried the following commands
    cmd > netsh winsock reset catalog
    cmd > netsh int ip reset (this one, even in evaluated mode, gives me: Resetting Echo Request Failed Access is denied)

Here the is ipconfig /all from this laptop:
    I am sure that the problem is with this laptop, not the network or the router as my other laptop running Vista Home Premium 64 bit connects and has access to the web.
    Here is the ipconfig listing from my working laptop:

Can someone please help me figure out the problem and what I could do to solve it? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles from the failing machine and scan for the network. Enter the known correct encryption key and see if that doesn't get you connected.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Also if that computer has never connected to that wireless network make sure the router is not locking it out via MAC Address filtering (access control).

4. user21

user21 Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I've checked the router settings and there are no restrictions on the connection, so the laptop is not being locked out.

I removed the network profile and reconnected.

So far the only way I could see this laptop on the network is if I assign it an ip manually from the ipv4 settings. If it's set to obtain ip automatically it gives me a 168 ip not a 192. So I entered the default gateway as 192.168.0.1 and subnet as 255.255.255.0 and gave it an ip address different from my other computers on the network.

If I select obtain auto, then my network is unidentified.

5. JohnWill

Manually configuring the IP address rarely fixes stuff like this. :) Configure for automatic addressing again, then let's do the proper stack reset for Vista.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Post another IPCONFIG /ALL

6. user21

user21 Thread Starter

Okay, thank you. Here is what I get prior to the reboot:

And the ipconfig /all listing after the reboot:
    Thank you for the help so far. As you could see, the ip is 169. and the default gateway us left blank. The network is unidentified but still connects and access is still only local.

7. JohnWill

Can you try a wired connection for this computer?

8. user21

user21 Thread Starter

Sorry, I cannot try a wired connection.
    I'm really hoping to get the wifi working again, so my friend could use it on school campus.

And I would really appreciate any suggestions that would not require a reformat of the hd.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the PC manufacturer's web site.

If you are using encryption try with no encryption. If that works, and you are using WEP, try WPA(2)-PSK ('cause sometimes Vista struggles with WEP).

10. user21

user21 Thread Starter

I tried updating the driver, it says it's up to date. I've even uninstalled the wireless driver and let it detect and install itself upon start up.

My encryption is WPA2-PSK.

What else can I try?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please excuse my suspicion but that sounds like you are relying on some "it" to compare the latest version on the PC manufacturer's web site with the installed version instead of doing the comparison yourself or just downloading and installing the latest correct driver. What is this "it"?

12. user21

user21 Thread Starter

I would click on update the driver and it says "The best driver software for your device is already installed" and "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

I however went and downloaded the latest driver from the intel website and tried updating. I got the above message again.

When I hover over the connection icon in the taskbar, it says the network is unidentified.
    What could be the cause of this? I've heard that certain programs like P2P could cause these software issues. My friend removed these programs a while back but it still isn't connecting.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There's no way for us to tell if this is a driver issue until the correct driver from the PC manufacturer's web site is installed.

Yes the problem could be some kind of problem resulting from P2P programs or the malware they often introduce, but since the most frequent Vista wireless problem seems to be driver related I tend to focus on that first.

14. user21

user21 Thread Starter

15. JohnWill

Disable IPv6:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
    3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
    4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/890323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice