1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Connects to Router, but not to Internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jake3422, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jake3422

Jake3422 Thread Starter

Hi, I've had a problem with my friends brand new netbook.
    I'm usually good with network related problems however nothing I can find is incorrect.

3 Computers Connect to the router and internet with no problems.
    The Netbook however connects to the router, shows up as an attached device in router config, but not the internet.
    Ipconfig simply said the Media was disconnected.
    Subsequently Ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx revealed nothing.
    The netbook uses WinXP Home, and one of the 3 working computers uses WinXP Home also.

Furthermore, resetting the router changed nothing
    Using Ethernet cable had no result
    And just to check if it was a driver fault, I tried my wireless broadband which also failed.

Strangely i did notice when the netbook had just stopped working, in network places there was a Internet Connection Icon, set to "Disabled". When i enabled it, nothing changed, after a re-boot it was gone.

Anti-Virus also found nothing.

I'm hoping I can find a result, because my friend seems to have a weird obsession with getting me to reformat his hard disk and fresh installing every time he has a problem!!

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start by removing all the stored wireless network profiles and searching for the network. Another test is to connect with a wired connection to see if that works normally.

3. Jake3422

Jake3422 Thread Starter

Thanks, I've tried using wired connection with same result.

And i've disconnected from the router and reset the wireless settings on the netbook already but nothing changed.

Oh! i forgot to mention, his netbook doesn't work on my Wifi/Wired Connection either.

4. Bernardo

Bernardo

Is there an on/off switch, or FN key combo that turns off the wifi?

5. JohnWill

If the wired connection doesn't work either, try a stack reset. In the absence of any information, I'm assuming XP.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

6. Jake3422

Jake3422 Thread Starter

Yep, annoyingly the switch turns on both bluetooth and wireless for some reason, and no obvious way to change. But I've checked its all powered up and working.

7. Jake3422

Jake3422 Thread Starter

Thanks, but that didn't seem to work either =/

8. JohnWill

With the wired connection, please post this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice