1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Constantly connecting to wrong wifi network

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by WaRe, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

Router : Cisco E4200
    Vista Business
    Laptop

Recently my laptop started connecting to my guest Wifi network vs the main network. I cannot get Vista to automatically connect to my main wifi over the guest after boot up. This problem only occurs when i restart or boot up.

Things i have tried:

Removed the guest network from list
    Unchecked connect automatically under guest properties
    Made sure main wifi has Connect automatically checked under properties
    Made sure main Wifi has connect when in range automatically.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
    Dennis

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I do not know that particular router,whatsoever, but is there any possibility it is the reverse of this situation
    By that I mean, although this was NOT able to get the guest network to turn on, does the answer to your problem lie with the settings in the router. That link options will take you to the Cisco forum

IF your research into those settings proves negative, I would uninstall and reinstall the network card in the computer and start again with your configuration.

3. EndpointWatcher

EndpointWatcher

Have you ever heard of a product called AirStop Wireless? I believe that it forces your laptop to a specific WiFi network while preventing connection to other networks. You can find it by Googling AirStop Wireless. Good Luck.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

EndpointWatcher

I had not until you posted, but that is a program to prevent access to unsecured networks.
    It is a security product.
    It is not applicable to this problem, which is not connected with any issue of unsecured network access.

Nevertheless Thanks for coming in and welcome to TechSupportGuy

5. EndpointWatcher

EndpointWatcher

You are correct that it is a security product, but the wireless version claims to allow connection to predefined SSID's while preventing conneciton to unauthorized networks. If I find out any more info I will let you know

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!