Laptop Constantly connecting to wrong wifi network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

WaRe

Router : Cisco E4200
Vista Business
Laptop

Recently my laptop started connecting to my guest Wifi network vs the main network. I cannot get Vista to automatically connect to my main wifi over the guest after boot up. This problem only occurs when i restart or boot up.

Things i have tried:

Removed the guest network from list
Unchecked connect automatically under guest properties
Made sure main wifi has Connect automatically checked under properties
Made sure main Wifi has connect when in range automatically.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Dennis

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I do not know that particular router,whatsoever, but is there any possibility it is the reverse of this situation
Re: E4200 Guest Network Not Working

Options

10-02-2011 05:49 PM
To turn on the guest network, you can just go to the web GUI, http://192.168.1.1, and log in. Then go to the "Wireless" tab, and click on "Guest Access" near the top. Under "Guest Access", click on "yes" for "Allow Guest Access". Then make sure that the SSID is different from your other wireless SSID's. You should also "change" the password to your own password. And make sure that SSID broadcast is enabled. You can also set a maximum number of guest login's that can be logged on at the same time.

That's about it.
By that I mean, although this was NOT able to get the guest network to turn on, does the answer to your problem lie with the settings in the router. That link options will take you to the Cisco forum

IF your research into those settings proves negative, I would uninstall and reinstall the network card in the computer and start again with your configuration.

Have you ever heard of a product called AirStop Wireless? I believe that it forces your laptop to a specific WiFi network while preventing connection to other networks. You can find it by Googling AirStop Wireless. Good Luck.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
EndpointWatcher

I had not until you posted, but that is a program to prevent access to unsecured networks.
It is a security product.
It is not applicable to this problem, which is not connected with any issue of unsecured network access.

Nevertheless Thanks for coming in and welcome to TechSupportGuy

You are correct that it is a security product, but the wireless version claims to allow connection to predefined SSID's while preventing conneciton to unauthorized networks. If I find out any more info I will let you know

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online