Laptop controling PC in same room

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CrimsonSigma

Currently I have a rather bulky desktop XP PC with a reasonable spec and enough storage for my means. As space is at a premium, I was wondering how difficult it would be to relegate this unit to a cupboard and control it via a laptop? The desktop in question has several programs I may not be able to acquire again and has a sound card used for studio work. I'd considered using something like VNC as a simple controller however in past experiences, there has often been a lag I would like to minimize if possible (can VNC be used to connect to the other PC directly instead of via traditional modem based IP?). My apologies, "server" theory isn't really my area of expertise! Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

CrimsonSigma.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
UltraVNC is what I use, and over a LAN the response is basically "like being there". It's nothing like going over the Internet as far as response is concerned.

My advice is to try it, I think you'll find it'll work out.

CrimsonSigma

Thank you both for the prompt responses. I'll give RD a go first as its pre-installed.

Thanks again,

CrimsonSigma.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
However, RDT only comes with XP-Pro or 2K, not XP-Home. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online