1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop/corrosion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geeba, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geeba

Geeba Thread Starter

Hi there
    A year or so ago, I bought this u-beaut laptop from Gateway.
    They have looked after my warranty claims well however I now am getting a corrosion problem in the case. I have seen other laptops in worse state and am wondering if there is a way of halting its progress. ie connecting an earth or such.
    Often when I work on the machine I get a small charge of what feels like static electricity from the casing.
    Cheers

2. zeddy

zeddy

I must admit to never ever having that problem, I thought AussieLand was a dryish place (apart from the Fosters!). Most Laptop cases are non-conductive so should not give a shock, are you keeping yours in the fridge with the lagers?

3. Geeba

Geeba Thread Starter

Why thankyou dear sir for your reply!
    I feel the need to reply despite the obvious lack of "contrustive advice"!
    Simply because your effort resembles the efforts of many of my friends, which were most certainly also quite unhelpful.
    The tinnies are in the fridge and cooled to the required temperature, as should always be the case.

Until next time I am in need of your unlimited knowledge please stay well and healthy.

Tally-Ho and PIP PIP!
    Graham

4. OCI Dan

OCI Dan

I recently had one come in from the coast and noticed the same problem.

What I did was to open it up and then clean very gently the corroded area with an alcohol solution. After doing so I repeatedly checked it over the period of a couple months (during which it had returned to the salty climate numerous times) and found no further corroding.

I can only suspect that somehow some dirt or something dot inside and became a harbor of sorts for the start of the trouble.

As far as the shocking from the case goes, that could be many things unfortunately so I cant really comment

Dan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice