1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop CPU makes it shut off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ghost6666, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ghost6666

ghost6666 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

So I have an ASUS A7M right now and the problem with it is that it wouldn't turn on anymore...I switched the power brick with an universal one and now it will turn on for 3 seconds...no post or anything and then turn off...so I opened it up and started taking it apart piece by piece....same thing till I took out the CPU and turned it on...now it stays on for as long as I want it. WHat could be the problem?

Oh and also what struck me as weird is that when I plug the power jack in...it starts automatically I don't have to press the power button...

What could be the issue??

thnanks much appreciated

Rob

2. ghost6666

ghost6666 Thread Starter

oh and the new power supply pushes 19V which is what the old one pushed as well and 4.5Amps as opposed to 4.72 like the previous one...does this matter

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So the new power adapter only puts 4.5 Amps versus 4.72 amps of the old one? That could be why it won't stay on, the new one is not supply enough power.

4. ghost6666

ghost6666 Thread Starter

are u sure? because i know that when...let's say it comes to voltage u can use + or - 0.5 of what is needed so for a 19V laptop u could use an 18.5V or 19.5V brick...does the issue change when youi're talking about amperage...also...the computer stays on for about 3 seconds after which is shuts down. I was just wondering if the CPU could be causing this shut down or if it is just because of the amperage...as I said it will stay on indefinitely if the CPU is off but will shut down after 3 seconds if it is in it's socket

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Power draw is critical for any computer.

Having the CPU out doesn't really prove much, the CPU is an integral part of the system posting, it also draws a lot of power.

How does the laptop behave with just the battery? How about with no battery but just the power adapter?

6. ghost6666

ghost6666 Thread Starter

the battery is completely dead so forget about it...with the CPU and the power adapter in the computer turns on AUTOMATICALLY as soon as I plug it in but turns off after 3 seconds...without the CPU in it still turns on as soon as i plug the cord in but stays on indefinitely

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The staying on could just be the difference in the power draw with the CPU being removed. Or it could be failed CPU, which is rare, or a failed motherboard component.

8. ghost6666

ghost6666 Thread Starter

how do i test for a failed mobo component or failed CPU...

9. ghost6666

ghost6666 Thread Starter

also what could cause the lappy to turn on automatically when it gets juice...

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can't really aside from trying the CPU in another laptop and trying a know good CPU in yours.

11. ghost6666

ghost6666 Thread Starter

and the automatic boot thing? what could be the issue there?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be a side effect of a faulty mainboard or a broken/stuck power switch.

13. ghost6666

ghost6666 Thread Starter

how could i test the power switch

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could disconnect it if its connected via a cable or small circuit board.

15. ghost6666

ghost6666 Thread Starter

i can't find it though

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice