1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop CPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jack-o-bytes, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes Thread Starter

Hey there everyone,

Recently one of my mates has upgraded a dell vostro 1000 from a dual to a quad core CPU and from 2GB to 4GB RAM. I was planning on buying a vostro 1000 as they are fairly fast any way and then just upgrading it when I got the money. My only thoughts are though. Will the motherboard be able to support that CPU for much time? Also would 4GB work properly. The setup seems to be working for him so far but I am not sure whether it would be worth me doing.

Any thoughts,
    Jack-O-Bytes

2. jack-o-bytes

Any one got any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Jack-O-Bytes

3. Irukku

Irukku

Mmm, yes, that upgraded setup is fairly good nowadays, and would last around 2 years without becoming obsolete, assuming you're not a power user (3D rendering, gaming, etc...).

The only problem I see there is it probably expensive to buy two processors.

Check on i3 laptop builds... they'd deliver almost the same performance at a cheaper price, and would be far more upgradable in the future.

4. jack-o-bytes

Yeah but I was just wondering whether the motherboard will be able to support the extra wattage needed for that CPU and whether the cooling would be sufficient enough that a quad core could be put where a dual core is? I am also an AMD fan and never really liked Intel so much. That is why I would like to stick with them. :)

Thanks for the input, Jack-O-Bytes

5. Irukku

Irukku

Mmm, lemme see if I understood it well: your friend has got the Quad-core CPU working already? If so, the motherboard supports the wattage required for the processor.

As for the cooling, the best way to know is running tests: I recommend speedfan. Ask your mate to run that on his laptop and put it under stress to check if it's not overheating.

6. jack-o-bytes

OK kwl. I will have a look if I can. I am surprised that it worked to be honest. I thought the BIOS probably wouldn't have supported it. What he didn't know is that when I upgraded it from XP to windows 7 I also did a BIOS update so he may have just been lucky that it worked first time because I put the newer bios on before he did the upgrade :)

Jack-O-Bytes

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice