1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop crashed, disk status unreadable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cpizzull, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpizzull

cpizzull Thread Starter

Hi All!

> nephew's laptop, Gateway ML6714, Vista, SATA harddrive
    > he was playing Spore (shouldn't have been w/this laptop I believe) and screen went black (laptop shutdown I believe)
    > couldn't reboot; tried using restore disks to install Vista from scratch but although it appeared to show a volume, it says it was unrecognized
    > tried executing harddrive driver D20035-001-001.exe but it can't unzip to c:/cab as I believe c: isn't even there anyway
    > tried pulling driver off of the restore disk but perhaps I didn't find the right one during the Vista install....is this my real problem?

so using diskpart (after having a CD with the harddrive driver in, D20035-001-001.exe)
    > list disk only shows Disk 0
    > Disk 0, status=unreadable, size=149GB,Free=149GB,Dyn is null, Gpt is null
    > select disk 0
    > list partition
    There are no partitions on this disk to show.
    > list volume
    Volume 0, Ltr D, Type=DVD-ROM (only reading the cd disc)

> details
    Disk Id: 00000000
    Type: ATA
    Bus: 0
    Target: 0
    LUN ID: 0
    There are no volumes.

I can't create partitions/volumes. Repair doesn't work either. I also believe I can't format if it sees no partition or volume.

Is this a physical problem? They are still under 1 year warranty so is it best to just send back? Also, did video memory swapping playing Spore cause this corruption??

Thx for reviewing!

2. cpizzull

cpizzull Thread Starter

So by everyone's silence, should I assume there's nothing simple I should try and should just use the warranty??

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Based on what you tried, sounds like a dead hard drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice