1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop cuts out on battery power, battery good

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chumble, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chumble

Chumble Thread Starter

Hi, my girlfriend in Beijing has an Acer Aspire S3 latop. She bought a new battery for it a while back and told me it was no good. I was in Beijing recently messing around with it and found that actually the battery is fine (lasts for >4 hours) but when unplugged and running on battery power, the laptop often just cuts out suddenly (loss of power). I took the battery out and had a look and cleaned all the connections but they seem fine.

The next part is the strange part and which I hope might give someone a clue as to what's going on...

When it cuts out, it will never restart again unless the mains power cable is plugged back into the laptop. As soon as that's done and the power button is pressed, it starts up again and the cable can be taken out immediately (I mean immediately - you can plug the cable in, push the "power on" button and pull the cable back out in less than a second) and it will start up and run fine on battery again... until the next time it suddenly cuts out without warning.

Because any unsaved data is lost and because the laptop cannot restart without the power adaptor, this very portable and light laptop is now reduced to having to be kept at home all the time and plugged in, which is exactly the opposite of what she bought it for.

Anybody have any idea what the problem could be or suggest some tests that could be done to find out? She took it to a local computer shop but the guys there had no idea.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Well it could be several things....have you considered returning it to the place of purchase?

3. Chumble

Chumble Thread Starter

I suppose if no one has any suggestion about what it could be then that would be an option, though the laptop is over a year old and outside warranty. The battery is new and perfectly good. I thought the part about it running on battery but only powering up on mains power might have made the cause of the problem obvious (to someone with greater hardware knowledge than mine).

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That sounds like a faulty charging circuit - which I have found to be the most likely part to fail on laptops that are used regularly on battery.
    Unfortunately that will require a new Motherboard or (if it separate on those) a new charging daughterboard. Both need expert fitting.

5. Chumble

Chumble Thread Starter

Hi, thanks very much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

If it was a faulty charging circuit, wouldn't that mean the battery is not charging or the charging is unreliable? Whereas in fact when the laptop cuts out on battery power, the battery has a perfectly good charge and might last up to 4 hours once the laptop is restarted.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The same circuit indicates the battery capacity/charge level (along with circuitry in the battery) so if it is in the process of failing it will likely be intermittent, temperature dependent and lots of things. It is responsible for switching the power source and may well work fine if there is only one, but gets confused if there is more.
    The charging on my laptop is very strange and shows my battery as flat if the temperature rises above 80 degrees. Since it only ever gets that high running on the mains and when the battery is fully charged, it is not a problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1164783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice