1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop dc jack trace pad lifted.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mobcittty, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mobcittty

mobcittty Thread Starter

Hey,
    I'm new to the forums.I'm was trying to replace a old laptop dc jack.I got the soldering iron too hot or the desoldering wick pull up the copper pad.My question is can this board be repaired?Are the 4 outter pins negative?Can i solder a small wire from the pin missing the pad to a pin that this has the pad?I have attached a photo of the board.Don't be too hard on me about my soldering.I'm still learning.Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Which pad lifted off ?

I would guess the 4 outer pins are all connected to ground/- so a missing pad on one of those won't matter.
    I think the hole nearest the 2 in PL2 is for the + but a pic. of the socket would help me to be sure.

3. raybro

raybro

Click here to go to another TSG thread with a similar problem. The responses there my be of some help.

4. mobcittty

mobcittty Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!It was one of the outer pads that lifted up.The dc jack is a 6 pin jack with 4 outer pins and 2 center pins.I don't have to solder the outer pin that is missing the pad.Correct?Can you see the photo i posted above?I have attached a link to the photo.Thanks again!

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/mobcittty/DSC01582.jpg

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice