1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop, dead cdrom, dead harddrive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fleamailman, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fleamailman

fleamailman Thread Starter

Computer was given to me because the cdrom was dead.
    The tick of death started, so the harddrive is dead too(it is dead now sure)
    XP licence is stuck under laptop.

Pity to throw this laptop away, I would liket to get XPback on, but failling that anything is accepted.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

And your exact question is...?

If it's an OEM XP COA sticker, then only the actual brand name resore disks would get a new copy of XP running on the hard drive, but as you never mention make or model I am probably way off beam here thinking that was the question.

3. fleamailman

Thanks, details are
    dell model no: pp04L
    inspiron 2650

I have nothing else with it except the charger.

I will probably have to go down the linux route here if I can get it to boot to the usb, not too bothered because easy come easy go.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You would need to have the Dell restore CD's for that exact model to be able to use the COA on the sticker.
    Otherwise a retail (OEM is OK) copy of Windows XP would be needed.

Its not a bad laptop by the look of it, 1.6 GHz P4M combo DVD RW and CD RW drive.

5. fleamailman

I could contact dell I suppose, buy the cd, and have the cdrom drive mentded. Thanks anyway.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/504352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice