1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robo, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robo

robo Thread Starter

I am working on a laptop that was unstable. I'm thinking it is now fried. I cleaned up the registry and had it running smooth and fast. When ever I shut it down and unplugged the power cord the time would change and I did get a checksum bad error one time when I turned it on. THe owner said Windows wouldn't boot up when he brought it to me. After I thought I had cleaned up the errors and it was working, I shut it down, unplugged it, left it for a while and when I proceeded to start it up, nothing. There is nothing on the monitor, the hard disk light doesn't come on and there is no sound. The CD ROM spins and the fans work but otherwise zilch.
    Any suggestions? I'm guessing the MB is fried but it is only a guess since there are no error messages.

Thanks

2. tecknomage

tecknomage

How old is Laptop?

Batteries don't last forever. You may need a new one. If the battery is good, your clock would not loose time.

Also, do you leave your Laptop plugged into AC long enough to recharge the battery (assuming it is good)?

3. robo

robo Thread Starter

I actually had the power cord plugged in when I was not getting anything. I originally thought the battery was bad but after it would do nothing, I turned it on with the power cord unplugged and the fans still worked and the cd drive opened so apparently it charged some while I was running it. I get nothing at all on the monitor and the light telling me the hard drive is working does not come on.

4. robo

robo Thread Starter

New Info: I started the computer up again and a message came on telling me it had to shut down because of an error. Unfortunately, before I got it read and written down the screen went black and I could not do anything. I shut it down for about 10 min. then restarted and it begins the post then I get error 0271 which says the clock needs reset and 0215 which is the CMOS Checksum error. I can't get any info on the computer. It is a "Laptop Computer" made by Clevo Co., Model 5600P-P. Whenever I put that info into a search engine, all I get is the battery and where to get it. Do laptops have the small battery on the MB? If so that might need changed.

IF you can help, please respond.

Thanks

5. tecknomage

tecknomage

All your symptoms are indicative of a bad battery. Highly suggest you get a new one.

You could try taking it into a service tech. Most I know of would try a fully charged battery in your Laptop as a go/no-go test for free. This would verify if the problem is your battery.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually it sounds like you ae in need of a new CMOS battery.What is the Make and Model Laptop?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice