1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop - Dead?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by markus1980, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markus1980

markus1980 Thread Starter

Hi!

I was just browsing amazon when a box popped up saying Windows Explorer had stopped working.

Then a blue screen appeared with STOP: C000021 unknown hard error systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll

The laptop then shut itself down and now won't reboot at all (not even in safe mode, last known good configuration etc).

I have a Dell laptop, it's 18 months old, Windows Vista and never had a problem with it before now. I probably did once have a recovery disk but haven't a clue where it could be or if it's still around.

Is the laptop dead or can the problem be solved?

2. markus1980

Update:

The laptop is now turning on. But within a minute of the desktop page loading a box comes up saying WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING, then a blue screen appears and then it shuts itself off.

Any ideas?

3. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Could hardware problems, check your RAM(s) chip to see if they are properly seated, Etc....

As was suggeted to you in other areas, try from another computer and visit the DELL site and see if you can get hold of a Manual and see how One can get access to the Restore partition on your HD.
    If you cannot find one, do like me when a Manual is not available:
    Try every Bloody combination you can at Boot Up, what the H_LL your machine is not working anyway so no harm trying.

Try:1) Contiuously Tapping the Esc (Escape) Key as soon as you start up
    : 2) Try the F1, F2, F3, etc, while booting up, on some machines it is the F12 key (Note, you will have to try each Key individually at each boot up, So Patience here is a Factore)
    Hopefully, one of this Combinations will get you that Restore partition.

Good luck and Happy New Year
    Ray

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

5. markus1980

Thanks for the link Kenny. I can't access the recovery option (it doesn't appear under F8). I think it's bcause when the laptop was 1st delieved it didn't work and Dell sent me another hard drive to swap over?

6. kenny111111

kenny111111

read the link, dell recovery option appears to be the ctrl key and the f11 key at the same time during boot up...not the f8 key.

good luck

7. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

To kenny111111,

Thanks for that very usefull Link, I have it Bookmarked, great referrence tool for helping people with their laptops.
    Ray

8. ChildOfLore

ChildOfLore

Have you tried booting the computer from a CD/DVD (the one that came with Windows or a Linux LiveCD)?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice