1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop died after milk spill...please help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gem777, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gem777

gem777 Thread Starter

Well,as I have decided not to kill myself:confused:, yet, here is what happened. I accidentally spilled hot chocolate milk on my laptop keyboard. Toshiba satellite A505 S6981

I didn't know at that time, one week ago,that I had to take the battery out..I just took the ac power off...instead I did it like 4 hours after, in the meantime I put the laptop on a side in order to let the most quantity of liquid outside the laptop.

Then I dissasembled and clean it with isopropilic alcohol, and let it dry open for several hours. After that I reassembled, it boots but sometimes said :battery disconected, a few minutes after, battery showed 100 percent full, and then battery disconected again.
    So I turn it down, and try to boot...and never went on again. It shows two system icon lights (outside) the power light and the battery light, both on and white. But it wont boot.

When I disassembled it I looked for the cmos battery and I realized it is one of those soldered ones.:mad:....urggg

What I wanted to do was to change the cmos and see if it by doing that the pc boot again. I don't know. I am lost, and have no money to take it to a repair center.

What would you do? Should I consider it dead or do I have some hope?.......thanks:eek:

2. Hughv

Hughv

I've only seen this once, and was unable to fix it without spending more time and money than the client wanted to invest. There were stains deep into the laptop, and only a full disassembly would do.
    A similar event is chronicled here:
    http://ask.metafilter.com/54713/Ive-got-unwanted-milk-in-my-laptop
    As a last resort I'd consider putting the entire laptop, less battery and drives, into a dishwasher and let it drain, dry thoroughly.

3. gem777

gem777 Thread Starter

oh my...well. I will take it apart, this time everything and clean throughly- see what happens.

Another question, If I cannot get my laptop back, how do I retrieve the information for my hard drive? I have no backups :(
    My laptop was only 2 months old...

Thanks...

4. Compiler

Compiler

Pull the HD out and put it into a $10 USB enclosure. The drive is hopefully not damaged (most likely okay) and if your user account is NOT password encrypted, then you'll be able to pull your data off the drive.

May sell the note book as parts (screen, charger, maybe battery). The trick with wet electronics is to pull all power and let it dry for days, even a week. More details on the net.

Ouch, 2 months of life.

May want to consider a Thinkpad computer (not the Edge models) include liquid to a drain holes for the keyboard. the screens are not that glossy junk. Unlike consumer brand computers, it won't come pre-loaded with crap.... but I would still disable some of the features like auto-update, etc. The wireless & battery tools are still better than Win7 and look better.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=ED2B473A3EB14B7AB79E1378C264593A

With Core2Duo CPU, prices start at $625... some good wireless options are available (built in Clear support, etc). The 15% off sale just ended last night though. :( But they have a sale on it every 2-3 weeks,

It'll have all the abilities of that Toshiba (CPU, graphics) which is a basic work computer... but more likely to not be killed with milk ;)

Gallery of SL500 http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...651299AA2442B937039C5DECF1DBF&tabname=Gallery

5. gem777

gem777 Thread Starter

thanks...great info...I will look into those thinkpad. but first..I will try to clean it better and see if I can save it.

6. Compiler

Compiler

Sure, go ahead... you never know if you might get lucky. Sometimes there is a tiny jumper for CMOS reset on a notebook.

Electronics and liquids just don't usually go together and once damage is done to any number of components such as the SMTs etc, tracking down the various points of failure and replacing the parts is pretty moot. What works today, may not work in a week or a month.

I own a thinkpad and they are what I recommend to most of my clients and friends. Not having the idiotic glossy screen scores big points with lots of us.

7. gem777

gem777 Thread Starter

Yes, that is annoying for almost anybody. I am seriously thinking on a thinkpad as my next laptop. Besides, I already begin to hate Toshiba, from the moment I saw cmos battery soldered to the motherboard :mad:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice