1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raybro, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Hello All... This the second post about this particular Notebook computer. See this thread
    for the hardware details.

My question regards something that happened since then. After installing the SP2 update from CD, I proceeded to download the remaining Critical Updates from the M$ site. Got about halfway through the 57 downloads (but not yet installed). This morning when I turned the laptop on to continue the update downloads, the unit would not boot. In fact it would not even POST. The power LED turned green (normal) and a repeating clicking noise would sound about every 5 seconds. Sounds similar to the sound when attempting to access a floppy disk (but not from the floppy disk drive). LCD screen was black. My best guess is power supply or mobo...

One additional bit of info... I had removed the Li-Ion battery about 3 days prior to this and have been running on AC power. Operation seemed OK.

I'm reasonably proficiant with Desktops, but this is my first goaround with a Laptop. Any insight would be appreciated.

Raybro

2. bonk

bonk Banned

When you power up do you here the fan come on for a split second...and does any of the lights on the front light up.......

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Clicking sound = failed hard drive.

4. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

There are 3 LED's on the front panel. The first indicates computer status. Steady green indicates power ON and computer in operational mode. Blinking Green indicates power ON with computer is in suspend mode. I have the blinking Green at power up along with the clicking sound. According to the manual, one can escape the suspend mode by hitting any key or the touch pad. That does not have any effect. I've also tried entering BIOS (Cont+Alt+S) with no response. The screen remains black at all times.

Yes, the Fan comes on and the second LED glows yellow (Indicating external power source is attached). The third LED is the battery status indicator. It stays OFF with the battery removed.

If you are interested, the manual for this Laptop is available online in Acrobat (.pdf) format here.

Thanks for the response and I appreciate the interest in my problem.

Raybro

5. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

That's certainly a possiblity. My only hesitation in concluding the HDD to be the root problem is the fact the computer does not initiate Power On Self Test (POST), which is a function of the Configuration Utility (aka: BIOS). Assuming the sound is coming from the HDD, I would be more inclined to think it to be associated with the HDD not receiving commands from the BIOS. This was the rational I used in my first guess at the problem to be associated with the mobo or P/S. What do you think?

Raybro

6. valis

valis Moderator

so no post, no beep codes, correct? If you are getting a solitary beep, then the clicking, the machine cleard post and it's the hd. If you are not getting a beep of any sort, then it's time to start digging.

If the screen remains black, you could also be experiencing monitor failure. Hook up an old crt to the back and see if anything shows.

The critical part is the beep codes. If you are not getting those, well, it's not good.

7. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

No beeps or any sound other than the clicking and the fan, which both begin immediately at power on. Interval of clicking is about 3 -4 seconds. The green LED also immediately begins blinking at power on. Both within 2 - 3 seconds after hitting the power switch. This is not sounding good, huh? Bummer. :(

Still think it's worth the effort to hookup and external CRT? The only one I have available is currently connected to my Desktop system. I'd prefer not to disturb it if it's not going to be meaningful.

Raybro

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Try connecting a nother monitor as this could easily be a video problem since you get nothing.
    One other thought would be to reset bios if you can pull battery (if even possible) because if one of those updates was video driver, I have seen Windows Updates video driver cause really whacked out video, so it could cause it all together as well.

9. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

OK, I'll try the monitor.

Regarding Updates affecting the video drivers. None of the updates have been installed as yet, just downloaded. The Windowz Update site downloads all selected updates before installing any of them. This is validated when one goes back to the site to continue downloading when the process is interrupted. So I doubt there is a video driver involved in this anomaly. Additonally, the updates I was downloading were strictly critical updates related to security issues. No optional updates (which would include any drivers) were involved, so I do not believe there was a video driver update present in the downloads.

I'll open the case and see if I can locate the BIOS battery. I'll post back with an update. :D

Raybro

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/507241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice