1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop difficult to boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by SeekingSanity, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SeekingSanity

SeekingSanity Thread Starter

Hi guys - Hope you can help. First off, forgive me for being a neophyte with techie terms - I know some, but most I am unfamiliar with. Always willing to learn though! :)
    Lately, I've been having problems booting up my laptop. Truthfully, I've had this problem off and on for maybe a year, BUT in the last month and especially the last few days, it seems to have gotten worse. Whenever I have to restart my computer, I have to make the attempt numerous times (10-20!) to get it past BIOS (I think that's the right term). I hit ctrl + alt + delete at least 10 times before it will bring me to the screen with my shortcuts, Internet, etc. Today it took 23 times of trying before the computer fired up, and now it's running somewhat slow. I am anxious to solve this problem as you can imagine.

Thanks so much for your time and any suggestions. I'm at wit's end, so I really appreciate your help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 560 @ 2.13GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1525 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 51346 MB, Free - 19408 MB; D: Total - 51130 MB, Free - 10412 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Acadia
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. SeekingSanity

Hi Blues - thanks for responding! Just an FYI for now: the 1st link you referenced requires the discs for Vista, which I don't have. I am currently trying the vista64 reference you mentioned 2nd, and am going with method 3. I'll get back to you about the results soon. Thanks again.

4. blues_harp28

Yes, I should have mentioned that the install disk for Vista was needed.
    You have had this problem for about a year - how old is the laptop?
    I'd also run a Hard drive manufacturers test.
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

And also think about saving all needed data and file externally, asap.

5. SeekingSanity

Sorry for the delay in responding.
    I ran the vista64 option 3 and the laptop restarted without a problem. Nothing to report on it from what I can tell.
    This laptop is 3 years old.
    The hard drive manufacturer's test link you referenced ... I went to it and I see a wide range of options. Which should I try?
    By the way, I've noticed a pattern of sorts ... when I open the unit to add memory, the boot up gets especially difficult -- takes probably 20-25 attempts. First time I opened the unit to add memory was 2/15 - day before I first posted about this problem. It's happened again today - last night I opened unit o add memory again (had wrong kind the 1st time, 2/15). Does this opening it up have any connection to my problem?

thanks

6. blues_harp28

Make sure that any Ram installed is the same speed - adding incorrect Ram will add all kinds of problems.
    Stay with what you had installed at first and run a Ram Test.
    http://www.memtest.org/
    http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Best to run a full scan - on individual Ram sticks.
    Download and burn the ISO to CD
    Boot from that CD and run the memory test overnight or at least for a few hours.
    Guide to using Memtest86+
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/246994-guide-to-using-memtest86/

The Hard Drive Test - you will need to check what make of hard drive is installed to run
    the correct test from that website.

You can scan your Pc to see what Ram is installed and what is compatible.
    http://www.crucial.com/

7. SeekingSanity

Well, I should have ordered from Crucial, but I went with OEMPCWorld ... now they sent me 2 1gb units that have this for specifications: 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300S 555 12. The mem that's in the unit says 1GB 2Rx16... I wonder if the 8 instead of 16 makes a difference? I have 1.5GB and wanted 2GB. I ordered 2 new units of 1GB. Tried putting in last night but I snapped one of the retaining clips. When I found out how to work around it, I just put the old mem back in but wonder if I should try putting the new stuff in.
    Neither Crucial nor OEMPCWorld specify anything beyond "DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)" for my aspire 5315.

8. SeekingSanity

Also - not sure what you mean by ISO? And where would I get it in order to burn a CD?

9. blues_harp28

10. SeekingSanity

OK, the howtogeek sites are pretty straightforward, which is very good for me! But ... the imgburn page says

"You might need to burn an ISO of an operating system, software app, CD, DVD…etc. It doesn’t matter what the ISO image is, burning an image is a fairly straight-forward process and here we’ll take a look at three free options to accomplish it."

So, before I download the imgburn program, and subsequently move on to the memtest diagnosis, one question: what am I burning an ISO of? My operating system? (and I'm assuming the imgburn or howtogeek sites will tell me how to burn the OS but just to confirm, is that what I'm trying to copy?)

After simply skimming the memtest tutorial (which I will read entirely soon), I have a feeling this procedure will really help with my issues! Thanks very much for your help thus far.

11. blues_harp28

You are burning the ISO of Memtest.
    Download the ISO - [Ver 4.0a - Windows (zip) ISO image for creating bootable CD] from the Memtest website to your desktop.
    Unzip Memtest file to its own folder - Open Imgburn - browse to the folder that contains Memtest IOS - burn to a CD.

12. SeekingSanity

Just wanted to let you know I am running the tests today. Got memtest & imgburn download correctly and a little later I'll take out memory and run the tests on each stick individually. (it's been a couple days so I wanted to let you know I'm still "here" and working on the issue :)

13. blues_harp28

Ok, thanks for the update - were are still 'here' too.
    Post back and let us know the results of the tests. :)

14. SeekingSanity

You are a very quick responder!

HOLD ON A SECOND THOUGH - I thought I downloaded [Ver 4.0a - Windows (zip) ISO image for creating bootable CD] but when i go to check on my desktop, it's not there. I tried downloading again but noticed my sys is trying to use an expired trial version of WinRAR to open and/or save it. I either have to buy the full version or use some other utility to download. Any ideas on how to get around this? (I DO have imgburn downloaded fine)

15. blues_harp28

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice