Laptop disaster!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eggenberg4Ev

Help much needed here.
I'd accumulated so much cack on my HD (as well as all the OEM trash that I hadn't got around to uninstalling) that I decided to back up all my important files etc. to DVD & use the Window Washer Webroot System Eraser utility CD-ROM to nuke the HD prior to a clean format/install.
All fine & good: HD wiped.
Problem: when I try to reinstall XP it says no HD present.
I've tried re-formatting using Seagate DiscWizard (it's not a Seagate drive in the lappy but this made no difference when I previously used it on an HD in my desktop) but no joy, I get as far as the initial XP install screen (where it asks if you want to do a full install, repair an existing one or exit) & that's when my lappy informs me there's no HD.
I have a Siemens Amilo M3438, 2GHz lappy if that's any help.:confused:

Sometimes if you have a marginal hard drive doing something like wiping it can cause it to fail. Does the drive still show up in BIOS?

Eggenberg4Ev

No, so I'm thinking it may have a driver prob but seeing as I've made such a ba**s-up of this (it seems), I'm not confident as to my , ahem!, "expertise" :)
What do you mean by marginal?

If the drive doesn't show up in BIOS and the Bios settings are set to auto then there is a good chance that the drive died. At this point you don't need any drivers. I don't think that the Window Washer did anything except perhaps stress the drive, but it's not a product that I've used.

Eggenberg4Ev

Thanks for the help there mate. I'm guessing that it was a problem just waiting to happen.
Fortunately my lappy is under collect & repair warranty: Fujitsu/Siemens picked it up today, it'll be back next week (hopefully fixed for good).
If anything the one good thing to come out of this is to show that not all aftersale services involve arguing til you're blue in the face with the help-desks trying to get them to admit there's a genuine hardware prob: I called them; described the prob; they arranged pick up from my work. Cannot complain at that I suppose.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online