1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Display not working on laptop, butg it does work on old monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newyork716, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. newyork716

newyork716 Thread Starter

Hi..

I hope someone can help...

I have a SONY VAIO PCG-GRT170 that is 4 and a half years old....the display has stopped displaying.....

Wehn I plug in an external VGA monitor, I can see everything on the monitor.

I did the Function F5 kek, I did the WIndows Logo and D key to refresh the laptop monito to no avial.

It just automnatically stopped displaying last night. I shut it down, and reboooted and still nothing.

Id the screen on the laptop shot? If so, it is repariable or am I out of luck?

Thank you all for your help.

2. Sponsor

3. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Can you see any backlight, such as the LCD light is powered on when you plug the AC adapter?

It might be the motherboard issue you're facing here.

4. newyork716

There is no light on the laptop screen at all.....

I am guessing the laptop is gone?

Is it worth repairing or just get rid of it?

It does work with an external monitor? I hooked it up and the computer itself works?

Thank you

Steve

5. arknorth

arknorth

Did the monitor come on as soon as you plugged the laptop into it? If so, the LCD/CRT function was already on when you did this. Not having a Sony keyboard in front of me, is the F5 key the one marked with this? (For example, Dell has the LCD/CRT function set to the F8 key, while my old Gateway Solo has it on the F3 key.) This key sometimes requires pressing multiple times to get the correct setting for what you want to see. And when the LCD on the laptop is not chosen, the backlight will be off.

A-N

6. rollnw24inkmc

rollnw24inkmc Guest

i dont think you are experiencing a motherboard problem, i think its more a long the lines of either your lcd inverter went out or your blacklight in your lcd is bad, i just replaced an inverter in a toshiba notebook for a customer, when the inverter goes out the screen goes dark but if you shine a flash light on it you can see the regular veiw, i would test the voltage on the inverter, and if thats ok then test your blacklight. if this is to much for you pm or email me.

7. newyork716

Hi Everyone--

First--thanks to everyone who is trying to help me solve my problem.

The monitor did not come on as osson as it was plugged into the laptop.

I tried the flashlight thing....it is very very very faint...I can not make out what is on the screen

As fas as testing the backlight and testing tghe inverter, I truly have no clue as to what I am doing. If you could give me step by step, that would be great.

Thanks You all!!

Steve

8. buffoon

buffoon

Also reconsider arknorth's advice. Does the monitor come on with delay after you turn on yr laptop?? I mean monitor turned on first then some seconds after you start laptop it starts. When you toggle the Fn and F5? key, do you get a message on yr monitor, like "LCD, VGA+LCD, VGA" with the current setting (VGA) highlighted??

9. newyork716

Hi--

no...the monitor does not come on right away....U have to press the function F5 key to get it to switch over to the external monitor....

To answer your question...Yes....when I toggle the FN and F5 key....I do get on the external monitor with the VGA highlighted...

Any clue?

Thanks!!

Steve

10. rollnw24inkmc

rollnw24inkmc Guest

when you say faint, do you mean you can see your desktop but its really hard to see?
    next thing i would do after seeing the screen still there is test your LCD Inverter; to do this, you will need a small flat head screw driver and a small phillps screw driver, first take the straight head or a paper clip and pry up the cover that is just above the keyboard, after doing so on the lcd panel, pry out the bump stops..those black circle rubber things, remove the screws and unsnap the trim ring, next just below lcd panel will be a long skinny electrical board, this would be your lcd inverter. test it while its plugged up for actually voltage. this is the cheapiest and easies thing to replace, if the inverter is ok, remove the screws for the lcd and follow the cable on the back up to where your blacklight should be, search yahoo.com or google.com for where and what this looks like, should be a long strand l.e.d light bar, easy to figure out if it works or not..no light..not bright..no good. simple enough.

11. buffoon

buffoon

yep, looks like the LCD inverter on laptop if toggling the F5 keys several times doesn't do it. rollnw24inkmc has said it all better than I could've.
    P.S. if the fault is bigger than this, i.e. lcd display gone to the point of needing replacement, unless you find a good second hand one somewhere, it ain't worth the cost.

12. Zoys

Zoys

Hi, exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks back with my Toshiba laptop. I had an expert look at it and he said the display is busted and needs to be replaced. Depending on the specs of your laptop it probably won't be worth your while getting it replaced because it'll cost quite a bit to have fixed (and may cost more than the laptop is worth).

Since it's 4 and a half years I think it's probably best that you backup your hard disk (since you can still use it with an external monitor) and invest in a new one. That's pretty much what I ended up doing.

Sorry that it happened but ya, electronics i guess... :)

13. arknorth

arknorth

Okay - one last thing to look at as well - on the surface of the keyboard, just under the monitor is the little screen toggle - this looks like a small hole with a corresponding tooth that sticks out of the screen itself - this will shut off the screen when the lid is shut (it sometimes is also a small pin-like button that sticks up from the keyboard). These also tend to sometimes stick - you might want to press it in and release it once to see if it just needs a small kick in the shins to operate.

A-N

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/742900