1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Display won't pass Windows startup.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rustina, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rustina

Rustina Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

I have recently been given an incredibly old laptop for my partner to use to write a book. She only needs to use Word documents and to put them on a usb memory stick. It works fine as long as a monitor is plugged into the external vga port, even if the monitor is not switched on. However, without this monitor attached the laptop screen goes blank after the windows splash screen, apart from showing a large arrow cursor which disappears if moved. The monitor can be unhooked after windows has started and the laptop screen works fine. I had assumed that the problem was one of the laptop screen wires which acquires info about the monitor on startup, and have opened it up to reseat the cable, but this has not fixed the problem.

The (frankly paltry) specs of this laptop are: PII 266Mhz, 3D Rage LT Pro AGP2X, Windows 2000. The case has a "Jet" logo Model 665. Serial No. NC665922A0099.

Any help would be gratefully received, as my partner shies away from anything "techie and clunky" such as an external monitor and I am trying to make her work as painless as possible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice