1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop docking station recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by inthecloset, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. inthecloset

inthecloset Thread Starter

I'm looking for a laptop that will snap into a docking station. I haven't been very successful so far. What I find primarily are docking stations that plug into a laptop's USB port. The two problems that I have with these are that they generally don't seem to do video well, and they generally don't let you close the laptop, which leaves a clumsy setup for staff as they use it. I have a few Targus docking stations, but they're really not being used much. I'd like to simply replace desktops with the docking stations, and it seems that finding a laptop with a snap-in bottom would be ideal.

Any good recommendations for this?

Thanks.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. inthecloset

inthecloset Thread Starter

Thanks. I'd found some at HP, but I like those Dells better.

4. ComfortGroup_IT

ComfortGroup_IT

I've actually recently switched from Dell to HP because most if not all of the new Dell laptops I have purchased in the last 6 months have already started having problems (including video card failure, strange ticking noises, and the like). And in the last year or so Dell's tech support has gotten increasingly worse. Lastly, I don't know if you have an Account Manager but my Dell Account Manager typically takes at least a full day to return my calls now while my HP Account Manager typically calls back within 15 minutes if I miss him. The one thing you have to watch out for is to make sure that the HP does use a snap in docking station, some of the wording can be a little tricky.

5. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

which models?, please be specific.

6. ComfortGroup_IT

ComfortGroup_IT

Latitude E5400, Latitude E6500, and Precision M6500

The E6500 is the one with the Graphics card going out, the M6500 and E6500 have the mysterious ticking sounds, and all of them have had miscellaneous other problems including USB port issues and Bluetooth issues which have been the biggest problems I have had with all of them.

7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Wow, thats not good, What HP models do you recommend?

8. ComfortGroup_IT

ComfortGroup_IT

I got 2 without docking stations so far (ProBook P4710s and ProBook P4510s) but I have had no problems with them. I have 2 docking types on order (one should be in later this week) EliteBook 8540w and EliteBook 8440p. As I stated, I have just recently switched to HP after years of only buying Dell. My HP Account Manager has been incredibly helpful in the transition as well which is another plus I have for HP.

9. Compiler

Compiler

ThinkPad has docking stations for their upper end ThinkPads such as the T410, T510, W510. But they have a stupid USB-based on for other models. Yeah, even ThinkPad owners have complained that the USB "dock" are pretty much useless... come on, audio, video, etc over a USB port?!

ThinkPad Docks work great and very small, they are now about $180, but we have bought one on special for $125 a few years ago. You drop the notebook into place, press the power button. The dock has PAR/SER, USB, LAN, VGA, DVI , audio ports... and of course it charges the notebook. The ThinkPad docks actually use a standard ThinkPad power supply to power up... handy. The unit has worked great for us since day one.

If you go to page 2 of ordering a notebook, you have 3 different types of DOCS for $180~250 - Each one offering more features. The one to get is the 2nd one for $220 as it INCLUDES the AC adapter (which they sell for $60) , has DVI and Display port, 2 extra USB ports and audio. Check out details yourself.

I have just delivered a ThinkPad 410 notebook, its a great little unit. I prefer it over the T510 15" since it has the same size screen - just not as wide and its 1lb lighter than the 15" model. These start out at $830 with i3 or $950 with an i5 CPU. Sometimes theres an eCoupon that'll knock off $75~250. My client got $100 off his and by eCoupon suggestion - another guy here got $250 back for a W-Series 510. These change every week or two. Some good options are beefing up the wireless abilities.

T-Series page: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=24ABE3A59126498186434450AAAFE461

Dock:
    http://www.thinkpads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lenovo_thinkpad_w700_minidock.gif

Review & pics: http://blog.laptopz.com/2010/02/08/lenovo-thinkpad-t410-review/ I like the new keyboard.

Heres one being taken apart - check out the crash-cage :) http://blog.laptopz.com/2010/02/22/lenovo-thinkpad-t500-disassembly/

10. ComfortGroup_IT

ComfortGroup_IT

I got both my EliteBook 8540w and EliteBook 8440p in and set up. They have been used for several weeks now with no problems. I would suggest either of them if you are looking for laptops with docking stations.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice