1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop does not boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DPanMan, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Dell laptop that I recently restored with the restore disk. It worked ok, but some drivers were not installed, such as network card and video card (radeon 9800 mobile).

I got what I thought was the correct video card driver from online, and installed. However, after install and reboot, the screen only shows black. That is, after the Dell BIOS screen, booting from the hard drive leads to a all black screen (no Windows XP screen, but num/caps lock still work). I suspect it is because of incorrect video card driver.

So I tried to boot from the Windows XP CD and reinstall, but it always gets stuck at the "Starting Windows" step (after 2 min or so, num/caps lock stop responding as well). It's definitely not the CD, because I tried several different Windows XP CDs (Pro, Home, different language even).

I am lost as to how to fix this problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dan

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Why did you need to restore?...
    And you may need to reformat and start over..

Just my 2 cents..

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi Dan

See if you can get to a safe mode dos prompt by tapping the f8 key just after the bios screen. It should get you to a menu screen. If so you can run scanreg \restore and pick a date before you installed the drivers. If you got the video board with your laptop from Dell you should get the drivers for it from the Dell site.

4. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

It is actually a friend's computer - lots of viruses and stuff

The restore went fine.

Now the problem is that booting from the hard drive and windows xp cd both do not work

5. DPanMan

DPanMan Thread Starter

Safe mode worked w/ f8. Thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice