1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Doesn't Connect to WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by MartRose, Oct 4, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. MartRose

MartRose Thread Starter

Hi! This is my first post and sorry but it's going to be a long one.
    I have a Lenovo z575. I've had it about 5 years, bought it new, hasn't been used for 3+ years. Windows 7 64 bit. In spite of my best efforts, it does not connect to WiFi. So...
    It works fine with Ethernet.
    Uninstalled all antivirus. Shut off firewall.
    Yes, the switch is on.
    I've replaced the wifi card so it isn't a hardware issue.
    I've tried just about everything and searched for answers everywhere without results.
    I've tried numerous commands in Command Prompt. Tried to reset the IP address. Command Prompt says " No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has been disconnected".
    Been through Device Manager. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Searched for updated drivers. It tells me it has the correct drivers.
    Checked BIOS.
    The drivers have been updated on the Lenovo page.

Windows Diagnostic says "There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 11adapter".

I ran a test on the wifi card through Intel. Results said drivers are ok, radio is off. I've come to the conclusion that this is the problem.I could be wrong. I've searched for a solution to this and come up empty handed. Have no idea how to turn the radio on.
    The reason I think this is the problem is that it shows that the wifi within the machine is connected. It just isn't making it outside.

Oh yes, I bought a Netgear N300 wifi dongle. That won't connect either.

Otherwise, this laptop works fine.

I've tried so many things I've lost track. I've spent hours trying to figure this out and I'm stumped. I'm not a computer genius by any stroke, but at the same time I'm not afraid of them.

Do you have any suggestions where I go from here or do I just have to give up and buy a new laptop? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    According to PP.29-30 in the manual for the Lenovo Ideapad Z575 (link below) there is an indicator light for the wireless located in front of the touchpad, the light furthest to the right of 4, and it can be :-
    Also on P.31 it says :-
    So post the condition of the light and if pressing the Fn + F5 keys helps in your next reply please.

Manual download link :- https://download.lenovo.com/UserFil...).pdf?linkTrack=PSP:productInfo:HarwareManual

3. MartRose

MartRose Thread Starter

Hi Thank you for your response.
    The light is solid white. Not blinking.

I've tried the Fn F5 several times. Turned it off and on without any result
    It says Device- Wireless Network Card Status- On

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Do you have any other wireless devices that work ok ?
    In Device Manager what wireless device is listed under Network Adaptors ?
    Is there a network icon near the clock at bottom right ? If yes does it show wireless networks when you click on it ?

5. MartRose

MartRose Thread Starter

The only other wireless devices I have are a phone and a tablet which connect fine. It's a shared house. Other person has numerous things connected to WiFi without problems.

I replaced the Wifi card with the exact same one as the original. Problems began before that.

Device Manager says:
    Intel(R) Wifi Link 1000 BGN #2
    Realtek PCIe FE family controller

Wifi Icon in lower right corner has a red x and says:
    Not connected.
    No connections available.

When I hit troubleshoot it says:
    There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 11 adapter

A network cable is not properly plugged in or may be broken.

When I run the troubleshooter to attempt repairs it says:
    The wireless adapter is experiencing problems.

Thank you SO much for this.

6. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    You have gone through a lot of solid troubleshooting steps.
    You could try a different brand of wifi adapter.
    Otherwise, you could try booting a Linux live boot USB to see if the hardware works with another operating system.

7. MartRose

MartRose Thread Starter

Thank you for your time. I usually can figure these things out on my own. I have to be completely stumped and out options for me to ask for help. I just like the challenge. I've spent hours trying to figure this out. Thanks for the acknowledgement.

I will first contact the company I bought this replacement WiFi card from and see what else is compatible.

Linux isn't my favorite thing on the planet because I work online and find it very limiting but it's worth a shot.

Thanks again! This is truly mystifying. If I do ever figure it out, I will let you know!

8. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    You might also have some malware on the PC that may be causing an issue.
    I always recommend running ADWcleaner (free & fast ) to clean up the kind of junk that antivirus programs don't find.
    And there is always the option of re-installing windows 7 to see if that helps.

9. MartRose

MartRose Thread Starter

I've suspected it could be hidden malware because of the way this happened. I took it in a truck stop,turned it on, and the minute I turned it on, windows/screens kept opening, closing and flying across the screen. It was bizarre. Shut it down immediately, unplugged, etc. It's never connected to WiFi again.

I've run Avast, Webroot, CC Cleaner, Malwarebytes, and who knows what else! Pretty much anything and everything I could try. I will try your suggestion too.

Yep. I see reinstalling Windows 7 in my future. I keep trying to fix this simply because I like it and Windows 10 isn't my friend.

Thanks again!

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    More than one anti-virus is a recipe for trouble. Did you also run all the Removal Tools (assuming they were provided)?

One way to interfere with networking. But I doubt that is the problem here.

Replacing the "wifi card" does not fix any motherboard errors.

It won't connect by itself. Please describe the network to which you are trying to connect and exactly what you have done to try to connect and exactly what happened.

With service pack 1 and all subsequent Windows updates?

11. MartRose

MartRose Thread Starter

I had Webroot on it until yesterday. I've tried numerous antivirus but only one at a time. Uninstall one before installing another but have always used Malewarebytes. Yes, tried removal tool.

I also doubt the firewall is the problem too. Since it's not connected to the internet, I didn't see any problem disabling it for the time being.

I know the WiFi card doesn't have any bearing on the motherboard. I just thought I'd give it a shot in spite of the fact that the dongle wouldn't connect either. Wishful thinking I guess.

The dongle came with a setup CD. Honestly, it's been a while since I tried to set it up. Maybe I should try it again but I assume the result will be the same. I know it isn't plug and play.

Yes. SP 1 with updates. It had been a while since I tried to use it. When I connected via Ethernet, it sat for 3 hours and did 138 updates. LOL.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  13. MartRose

MartRose Thread Starter

I did buy it new. I bought it from a company that sold last year's models, etc. It's the third laptop I bought from them. They've since gone out of business.

That's very odd. I used this laptop for a year or so without any issues at all until this happened. I don't know what to make of it either.

Well, guess I should try installing that driver and see what happens.

I'm attaching a photo of the old WiFi card. It's identical to the new one.

IMG_20191004_163716687_compress16.jpg

14. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    How did the scan with ADWCleaner go? Malwarebytes bought the product a few years ago because (I presume) it found and cleaned stuff that their core product does not. It is different.
    When I come across a computer that has a mystery problem, it is the first thing I run. It scans your system, it does not run as a service for real-time protection.

15. MartRose

MartRose Thread Starter

I can't run it for a day or two but I will as soon as I can. I did look it up on Firefox. Will be very interesting to see what it finds. Wish I could do it now. I've always had success with Malwarebytes. Should be interesting.I will let you know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice