Laptop doesn't detect GPU/Can't install Nvidia Driver

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PlatinumFrog

Hello,
I have a MSI GS73VR Stealth Pro 7RF laptop using windows 10 64-bit home.

Recently, I tried to update two of my graphics drivers, one for the intel HD graphics 530, and one for my NVIDIA 1060. It was a hassle; I managed to update my intel driver, but I can't install the NVIDIA 1060 driver. It starts to install, but then a windows notification tells me it is done and to restart, but then the installer gives the failed install message, and I can't try again until I restart. I have deleted every file that has to do with NVIDIA (backed them up just in case). Not only that, but when I go to System Information, I can't find info on the 1060, just the intel 530, (like it isn't even there), and the NVIDIA 1060 driver isn't in the device manager under system devices. I get the drivers from the MSI website here, specifically for my computer. I have looked everywhere on the internet and haven't found a solution.

I didn't back up my drivers (I forgot), and I don't have any windows recovery backups.

Can someone help me fix these problems? I would very much appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Triple6

Rob
Any unknown or other devices in Device Manager?

How old is the laptop?

Triple6

Rob
Fans have nothing do with anything being dead or not, that's not how to determine if something has failed or not.

If it's only a few months you should contact MSI and use the free warranty support to have them help you troubleshoot the detection issue and if needed RMA it for service.

PlatinumFrog

I think that I need my product to be registered to do that, I don't have my product registered. You need a serial number, which is on a sticker on the bottom face of the laptop, but mine has a tiny part ripped off so that you can't read two of the digits. And therefore I can't register.

PlatinumFrog

Wait, but I do have this device listed in my driver menu under "other devices" called "System" and its manufacturer, location, and device type are unknown. It has previous events listed that have to with deleting and creating files like nvvhci.inf and oem31.inf

If I trace them back to files in my computer, they contain stuff for nvidia. I will try again.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The most current driver for the GeForce GTX 1060 graphic device for Windows 10 64-bit is version 378.78.
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115892/en-us
Download and save the driver, then close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to start the install process.
Select the custom install option, then select the clean install option.
See if that helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The most current driver for the Intel HD Graphics 530 graphic device for Windows 10 64-bit is version 4590.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...phics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88345

Last edited:

Triple6

Rob
The serial number may in the BIOS or on the packaging or receipt or MSI can help you obtain it.

PlatinumFrog

The most current driver for the GeForce GTX 1060 graphic device for Windows 10 64-bit is version 378.78.
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115892/en-us
Download and save the driver, then close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to start the install process.
Select the custom install option, then select the clean install option.
See if that helps.

The most current driver for the Intel HD Graphics 530 graphic device for Windows 10 64-bit is version 4590.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...phics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88345

I tried to use the NVIDIA installer and it didn't work. It lets me go through the options and starts installing it a bit before giving me an error message.

The serial number may in the BIOS or on the packaging or receipt or MSI can help you obtain it.
I also couldn't find the serial number in the BIOS.

Triple6

Rob
If the GPU isn't showing up then it's either disabled in the BIOS or there's a physical problem with the GPU such as it has come loose or has failed. I see your choices as spending lots of money on repair from a third party repair shop or contacting MSI for warranty service. It won't cost you anything to contact MSI and find out what you need to do to be eligible for warranty.

PlatinumFrog

OK, I will contact MSI. Also I had a recent problem where my computer starts up but shows a black screen where the sign in screen should be and so now I can't get onto my computer. I will get back to you when I can...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online