1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop doesn't detect internal display.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kiiryu, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kiiryu

Kiiryu Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba satellite a500.

The display stopped working about a week ago, and had not shown any previous signs of failing before then. I simply shut it down, and the next time it turned it on the screen had no display.

It can't detect it's LCD screen in any display options, and all brightness options have disappeared, as if it doesn't exist at all. There's no display on the screen, but other than that it still runs normally. For now, the laptop is only detecting the external monitor I have connected, which it designates as the primary display, rather than a secondary one.

However, I'm positive that it's not a hardware failure (for a weird reason I won't go into..), any advice on how to fix this, assuming that the problem is that the laptop isn't detecting the internal display? ( and not that it's a loose cable or a faulty screen..)

Thanks.

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Try shining a torch into the LCD. If you can see anything its likely to be the backlight or inverter failure

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you do a system restore to before the problem started

start>
    programs>
    accessories>
    system tools>
    system restore>

4. Kiiryu

Kiiryu Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I suppose I should clarify as to why I don't think it's a hardware problem.

After about a week of the display not working, I switched the system local to Japanese (which requires a restart), and upon resetting the laptop, everything started working again. The display was back, and the external monitor was automatically designated as the secondary display. I then restarted the laptop multiple times, and connected and disconnected different displays to make sure that everything worked fine. It seemed perfectly stable and worked no matter how many times I restarted it, shut it down, went into sleep mode, played games, etc.

However, once I switched it back to English (which again, requires restart), the instant the laptop powered down and started up again, the display stopped working, and switching back to Japanese didn't fix it a second time. Thinking it was a software issue, I then tried formatting my computer, but that didn't fix it, nor did using the laptop's recovery disks.

As weird as it seems, I still don't think that it's a hardware issue. I've searched around on google and apparently people have had similar problems due to video card drivers or other things, but in doing so I haven't found any solutions that worked.

5. xgerryx

xgerryx

How far did you get when attempting to format it. Was the LCD working then ?

6. Kiiryu

Kiiryu Thread Starter

After the display stopped working again, I formated it and did a clean install of windows 7 using an external monitor, so I went through the whole process.

7. xgerryx

xgerryx

Have you tried the torch?

8. Kiiryu

Kiiryu Thread Starter

Yeah, there's no display. Plus if it were the backlight, then the laptop screen would still show up in the display options.

9. xgerryx

xgerryx

This makes me think it could still be a hardware issue unless there is something in Bios gone a bit flaky

10. Kiiryu

Kiiryu Thread Starter

Hm..but then what would it have to be for it to fail or start working only when restarting the computer? There have never been any instances of it coming on or failing while I've been using it.

As for the bios...I'm not really sure what I could try.

11. xgerryx

xgerryx

I've run out of ideas but have seen similar patterns to yours that turned out to be hardware related.

It will be interesting to see what others might have to say.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice