1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop doesn't recognize my harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbeaufor, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

I think that my laptop doesnt recognize the HD. WHen I try to power on, it hangs during boot sequence then a screen comes up saying :
    " primary hard disk drive 0 not found"

I'm thinking this is a hardware problem and the drive it loose or something....

ANything I should try BEFORE cracking the case (never been inside a laptop before) that would explain this??

I check the diagnostics and get an error on the "DST short test"
    says:

test results : fail
    Error code 1000-0141
    No drive detected

The remainder of the tests are OK.

Any thoughts?????

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You haven't posted details of your laptop but some models have a removeable hard drive and they can become loosened. If this is the case, you may not need to go into the case. Just make sure everything you can see or touch on the outside is properly engaged. Post back with the manufacturer and model number and someone will recognise it.

3. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

Thanks for reply, Saga!

Details:
    Dell Latitude C610 20GB HD, 1.0 Ghz, 512 RAM, WinXP OS

Finally FOUND the harddrive, rather simple once I looked (for about an hour). Loosened one screw and it does come right out. I put it back, made sure it was secure.

No new results

Anyone, thoughts....

Could this be a software problem???

Notably, I cannot boot from the "drivers and utilities" but I did assume that I was able to run diagnostics from it.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Is the drive recognised by the BIOS. Tap whatever the Dell screen tells you to get into setup and see if BIOS can redetect the disk.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You may want to remove and reseat the drive. Might be just a bad connection.

6. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

Saga....its not recognized in the BIOS????

Is it possible to kill the Harddrive by doing absolutely nothing to the laptop?

Triple6.. I tried removing it and replacing it with no avail.

I am really having a problem understanding WHY it would just quit ot of the blue like this :confused:

7. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Everything man-made has a life sapn and your hard drive may have come to the end. It could, however, be the internal workings of the laptop so it's worth buying or borrowing a cable to connect the hard drive to a PC to try getting your data off there. If the drive works, the laptop doesn't. Vice versa, you might get a replacement drive through e-Bay.

8. Raven Writer

Raven Writer

Rbeaufor already tried this and said nothing changed.

The chances are you have been sold a faulty laptop. TheBIOS is not recognising your drive and that's normally a motherboard failure. I was sold a laptop that was supposed to be in complete working order, only to find the motherboard didn't recognise my battery or attempt to charge it at all. It's been eight months and I'm still waiting for my replacement laptop.

9. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

So I went to look for the cable to connect the HD to my PC.....left the store with new HD. Funny how desperation can get the best of you. Anyway the laptop does appear to recognize the new HD

Once I get everthing reinstalled, I'll let you know if it actually worked.

Its ashame that my "off-lease" laptop had the HD (if that turns out to be the case) die on me within a few months. :mad:

10. rbeaufor

rbeaufor Thread Starter

It WAS the harddrive. The new one is up and running with no problem.

Thanks for the help!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/295574