Laptop doesn't see battery

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Editor

This started when I managed to zap all the system files and drivers on a Win98 laptop (don't ask). Got the OS reinstalled and everything working except the laptop now thinks it doesn't have a battery. Battery itself is fine, and I've been through all the troubleshooting steps on the Dell site with no joy. Add Hardware says the battery has the correct driver. Machine works fine when plugged into the adapter (and since I use it only occasionally, this is acceptable). I'm obviously not going to spend any money on a machine like this, but it's an annoyance that I'd like to fix.

Did you reinstall ALL the motherboard/chipset drivers? If not, it may never work correctly.

Other than that, have you checked the connections? Are the pins on the lappy ok? It would seems that something is not connecting correctly...which could well have been coincidental to the problems you had as well.

Scorp.

Editor

>Did you reinstall ALL the motherboard/chipset drivers? If not, it may never work correctly.<

That I'm not sure about. I have a CD of drivers that came with the machine, but I'm not sure what to look for on it. I see drivers for CDROM, the external bay, the touchpad, etc., all of which work fine. But how would I identify motherboard/chipset drivers? I'm suspecting the motherboard isn't seeing the battery (connectors all look good).

Hmmmmmmm....they should be on the CD.

Does the CD autorun when you put it in the CD-rom? If not, try launching it from My Computer ('autorun'....sorry, I have to put this just in case you don't know how to do it...I'm not thinking you're stupid :eek: ).

From the first screen, yu should be able to tell it to install the chipset drivers.

If not, find out the make and model of the mobo, then go to the makers website and look them up....there should be a file to dowload and dbl click.

Scorp.

Editor

Well, now it's broke again--every time I touch it I break something else. Now the error has to do with a "long filename," wants me to run scandisk, but then I get "explorer has performed illegal operation" and the whole thing shuts down so I *can't* run scandisk. Sigh. Don't know why I'm wasting so much time messing with this antique, except that it's made me mad! Tried running scandisk from the C prompt but get "bad filename." Any hope here beyond formatting and doing a clean install? I think I'm too mad at it to go that route...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online