1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop doesn't sleep or hibernate

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by DiaSharaf, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiaSharaf

DiaSharaf Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737, running Windows 8.1.

my laptop does not go to sleep or hibernate. each time I close the lid, or press the power button it seems that it forcefully shut down or go to sleep/hibernate and then shuts down immediately "the shut down screen does not appear". When i start the laptop opening the lid/ pressing the button, it starts as if it were properly shut down.

I am aware of the options that I can adjust for sleep/ hibernate/ or shut down, when the lid is closed/ the power button pressed. the problem also exists when giving a "Sleep/ hibernate" order from the start menu.
    I have tried several suggested solutions on the web. I have updated the Bios " whatever that does", and several other drivers. I have tried running a "PowerCfg -energy" test on the command prompt, " several people mentioned that by using this test the found a driver that is requesting the computer to not sleep, but i found no such errors. i ran a few tests on Dell.com to check for any problems but everything seems OK.

also, when the laptop is sitting idle for a while and it goes automatically for sleep, it does not wake up by moving mouse/ clicking on the power button, I have to shut it down by holding the power button, then press it again to turn it on.

as I remember the problem first appeared after updating the windows from 8.0 to 8.1

please help, and thanks in advance

2. granthillsSA

granthillsSA

3. Tim345

Tim345

When updating to Windows 8.1 you sometimes have to update the drivers as they are not compatible with Windows 8.1. Go to the Dell website and search for Windows 8.1 drivers for your model of laptop. If you have a Dell utility installed on your laptop that searches for and updates drivers you could also run that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131234

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice