1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop doesnt start up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by beanruz, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beanruz

beanruz Thread Starter

Hi.
    firstly sorry if this is in the wrong place. or if it has already been answered but ive read tens of threads all of iwhich dont seem to be exactly like mine and/or didnt work.m

Secondly before i get started... i have only one access point to the net now. and that is my samsung galaxys2.. So that is what im currently typing on. hence the spelling mistakes bad puncuation and genera lack of knowledge of my system etc.

I have a toshiba satellite pro p300-1ay. my model number is pspcde- 00j005en. running windows vista.

I dont know if this is related but it might be. ive had problemd using windows update. it doesnt run sucesfully at all and results in me tryi.g to.download the same 13kb update 100s of times ovwr the previous months

today i was surfing the internet (battery in as on mains) i unplugged the mains to.run just on battery and my laptop crashed. i assumed that the battery.was missplugged etc. so i restarted my laptop. and it started running normally. it then went.into.settings etc and as i dont know anything about that.. i just exited to avoid causing any damage/problems. My laptop reset atthis point. on restart my laptop starts normally. it shows toshiba pro etc is grey/red. with press f2 to enter setup in the bottom left along with f12 for multiboot set up. approx 2seconds after this my screen blackens. and stays this way no matter what i try.

Firstly i assumed the backlighthad gone. but obviously its not as the screen is illuminated just black... and the toshiba sign is there at the.start!

This is what ive tried based upon other threads

tried removing all power supply and holding in power buttonfor 60seconds. then replacing etc
    Running just on mains
    running just on battery
    running f2 startup.
    Running f12 multiboot.
    Checking for loose areas in the casing
    opening and closing lid etc

as u can tell i havent tried much because there isnt much.i can do! mainly.because the screen just blackens after 3seconds. but also because im pretty much as a novice as you can possibly get! please help!

Again really sorry for the crappy punctuation etc but its hardto.navigate posting on my phone nevermind thinking about anything else!

Would be really greatful for any help what so ever!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Boot up with the Vista DVD and choose Startup Repair.

3. beanruz

beanruz Thread Starter

where do i get one of those DVDs from?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you enter Safe Mode by tapping F8 at boot?

You don't get a DVD. If Vista came with your machine, you have it on your hard drive.

F11 on boot should start recovery. You should have all your files backed up, and the recovery may also cause you to lose the installed programs, so it would be good if you had a system backup. Even if recovery tries to save your files, it would be a good idea to get them if you need them in case they are lost (providing that F11 does anything at all in the condition your machine appears to be in).

5. beanruz

beanruz Thread Starter

No, i cant enter safe mode by pressing f8 on start up, should probably have mentioned that in my first post. ill try f11 tonight when i get back from work, however will this cause me to loose my files? got some pretty important stuff on my laptop which i dont want to loose (generally just personal stuff rather than anything else) i dont care about installed programmes as i can sort all this out later.

when i first got the laptop i didnt do one of their system back ups as i probably should have, but hindsight it always nice isnt it...

6. beanruz

beanruz Thread Starter

Ive retried f8 aswell as f11. Neither of these are doing anything. just the same blank black illuminated screen. F11 did however once make a very loud beep before turning blank!

Any more ideas? Please!

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like hardware failure. Quite possibly the hard drive, but testing RAM first is always a good idea. No other tests can be accurate with bad RAM.

All hard drives are headed toward failure as soon as they are put into use. A file that is not backed up is a lost file.

You could try recovering data from the drive if the RAM passes. You would need to boot from another OS, like the one I'll link at the bottom. That would also tell us if the hardware was good.

Otherwise, you'll need to remove the drive and connect it to another machine, either internally, or through an external enclosure.

If the drive has failed, recovery of files may not be possible without a recovery service. They can charge into the $1000's.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

============================================

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!