1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop Dont boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dneighbor, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dneighbor

dneighbor Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario V6210US. I turn it on and the thing lights up on the keyboard but the screen is blank. The lights will blink off and than back on like it is trying to load. I have no CD's for this machine to restore or recover from. Any Help with this mess I would be Greatfull.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you install any program/driver before this happened ? If so, you can try and get into Safe Mode and removing that. To get into Safe Mode, after the memory counting screen / Compac Logo screen, repeated press F8. That should bring up a menu for you to get into Safe Mode.

If the above doesn't work or don't apply, then you will need to back up stuff from your drive and then try a restore from your restore partition, if you have one.

Go and download Fedora Linux 14. Use the downloaded ISO image to create a CD using Imgburn or Nero. Boot with it. You should then see your hard drives on the Linux desktop. Use a USB memory stick and copy your files onto it.

Consult your PC / Laptop manual to see if you have a recovery partition, and how to access it. Usually, you have to press a certain key to get to a menu.

3. dneighbor

dneighbor Thread Starter

Lunarlander,
    The problem with all that is the screen is black and nothing shows up. I did locate a System Recovery DVD from HP. I put it in the drive and restarted it with no luck. Everything is still black. If you watch the lights on the keyboard it appears that things are trying to load cause of them coming on and off.

4. dneighbor

dneighbor Thread Starter

Is it possible the video card is disabled? I hooked another monitor up to it with no change still black.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Does your manual say the video card can be disabled?

6. dneighbor

dneighbor Thread Starter

Don't have a manual with it.

7. dneighbor

dneighbor Thread Starter

8. dneighbor

dneighbor Thread Starter

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

Can you get to Safe Mode? ( Repeatedly hit F8 after the memory counting screen at bootup )

10. dneighbor

dneighbor Thread Starter

No I tried hitting F8 repeatedly and it still is a black screen. I don't see a thing on the screen from the time I turn it on.

11. dneighbor

dneighbor Thread Starter

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice