1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop double issue: booting and keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krujt, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krujt

krujt Thread Starter

Hello,
    I own a Samsun laptop. It had always worked fine, until it fell while shutting down and presumably damaged the hard drive. Nevertheless, I reinstalled Windows and it ran perfectly well for a couple of months. Then, all of a sudden, it wouldn't even boot. A few light went up and a faint noise could be heard from the fan, but that was it. After severan tries, it finally booted, but now the keyboard just didn't respond. From then on it's been the same: most times it won't boot, and when it does, keyboard won't work. Sometimes it'll freeze at startup or crash when trying to activate the screen keyboard. What can I do? Is it fixable? Expensive? My warranty's still on time, though, and I'll give it a try tomorrow, but on the meantime any help would be appreciated.

2. BPCS

BPCS

You probably damaged the HDD and possibily the mother board. If your comfortable opening the laptop you might want to check that the keyboard ribbon is still seated properly, note this will probably void your warranty, so if you plan on using the warranty don't open up the laptop.

3. krujt

krujt Thread Starter

I think I'll first give the warranty a try, but I want to be prepared for whatever they tell me down there. I had already thought about the HDD damage, but not really about the motherboard. It seems weird though that it worked perfectly fine for more than two months after the incident, and then all of a sudden it failed.
    Nevertheless, I'm prepared for the worse. Worst case scenario, warranty won't cover whatever damage there is. How expensive would it be? The laptop cost about US $1,000 and I'm not even done paying it, and I of course have no way to replace it.

4. krujt

krujt Thread Starter

Seems you were right. It appears to be the motherboard. It's in the support center right now. Guess I'll have to trust in the warranty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice