1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Laptop dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zitnok, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Hi, I have a 4 year old Acer aspire 5750 laptop. There have been a few times when it has strggled to boot up, then done a startup repair and eventually booted up and worked fine. Today that didn't work, then it ran chkdsk. Then it started to load w7 but my user profile couldn't be loaded. It managed to load a new user profile. It will only run a snail's pace. Inserted the Acer recovery disk but nothing happened.

Do you think it is worth trying to get it repaired? Or do you think it is on its way out and should be replaced asap?
    Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
    I have backed everything up.
    John

2. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I'd def say fix it. But I know what I'm doing when it comes to fixing them. (No offense)

It might be more time than you're wanting to put into it, but I would say do a reformat and reinstall a fresh copy of windows and it should make it work better.

What does the recovery disk(s) you have say on it (them)?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Acer Aspire 5750 laptop appears to be a 2011-era model.
    What's the exact serial number and SNID number on yours?
    What's the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

--------------------------------------------------------------

4. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies.
    I never received an installation disk.
    SNID 10935509016
    S/N -LXR 970207210956B121601
    W7 HOME PREMIUM OA

The recovery disks are ones i burned my self when i got the laptop. There are five. No other info.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that SNID number, THIS is your Acer Aspire 5750 (AS5750-2314G32Mnkk) laptop.
    It came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    It came with these hardware specs:
    Intel Core i3-2310M 2.10 GHz dual core processor
    4 GB DDR3-1066 RAM (supports up to 8 GB)
    320 GB SATA hard drive
    DVD writer disc drive
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated graphics
    Realtek high definition audio
    Broadcom gigabit ethernet
    Atheros or Broadcom or Intel 802.11n wireless

Unless there's some hardware or software issue that we're not aware of, there may be an issue with the recovery media discs that you created.
    If you go HERE and make a phone call, you should be able to purchase the recovery media disc kit for that laptop.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Thank you.
    I am not aware of any software problems and the only thing i noticed during the chkdsk was that there were a lot of unreadable files.
    I should have said I am in the UK. And i am having trouble negotiating the website on my smartphone so haven't been able to find out if they have a branch here or deliver overseas.
    However, given the age of the laptop do you think it would be better to bite the bullet and buy a new one?

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I suspect the hard drive is going because of the amount of unreadable files on the hard drive.
    Problems booting up and running slow can also sometimes point to hard drive problems.

If your laptop, like our 2 Acers came with a program to create the restore/recovery disks and program and drivers disk, that might be the 5 DVDs you created.

I know those 5 DVDs will restore the laptop to the factory state but I'm not sure if they work on a new hard drive put into that laptop.

You might want to email ASUS support and ask that question. "Will my restore/recovery DVDs work if I replace the hard drive?".

8. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

There were very many unreadable files. So, if the hard drive is damaged the recovery disks will not work?
    I will contact Acer to see if the recovery disks will work with a new hard drive.
    If that can be done it will restore the w7 operating system?

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I'm pretty sure that the asus recovery disks you have already created will be able to restore onto a new drive. Yes you most likely have a bad hard drive if you have that many issues with unreadable files.

Did you create the recovery discs when you first got the computer or just recently after you were having issues? The reason I ask is cause sometimes if you have a hdd going bad and create recovery media with a bad hdd I have seen the recovery media be corrupted and not allow you to reinstall windows correctly.

If the above is true, then you definitely need to contact Acer for recovery media. Yea with their recovery media you can reinstall the original operating system.

10. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Thank you.

metallica5456 likes this.
  11. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    You're Welcome. Good Luck. Let me know if you need further assistance with reinstallation.

12. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    It looks like he said he (I'm assuming he) burned the recovery disks when he first got the laptop. In that case, they are likely good. He'll just need to buy a new hard drive. Should be a fairly inexpensive repair.

13. zitnok

zitnok Thread Starter

Thanks. I did make a recovery set when i first got it and just discovered another set i made sometime later before any problems. So one set should work. There are YouTube videos of changing hard drivs so i should be able to manage that.
    Is the reinstall done by inserting 1st recovery disk when laptop is on, shutting down, then switch on and the machine will boot up from the disk? John

14. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Yes it should AUTOMATICALLY boot from the 1st disk and then it should ask you to install them accordingly.

15. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    I found this. It may help:
    Locate the Alt key, to the left of the space bar, and F10, on the top row of keys.
    Power the system on.
    When the system is powered on, tap the Alt and F10 keys together at the same time when the Acer splash screen appears.
    It should state "Please wait a moment..." with the Acer logo in the upper left hand corner.
    At the eRecovery Management menu it will ask you how to restore.
    Click on the restore option you would like to use.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice