Solved Laptop Ethernet Speed is 40% of Desktop Ethernet Speed

JimmyJoeBob1944

James
My Desktop PC is as follows:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 17763, Installed 20190109175338.000000-300
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 580 Series
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (557 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd B350M BAZOOKA (MS-7A38), ver 1.0, s/n H616297573
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

My Laptop PC is as follows:
Model: Dell Inspiron 5559 Signature Edition
Processor: Intel Core i5-6200U [email protected] 240Ghz
Installed Memory (Ram): 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 Based Processor
Pen & Touch: Touch Support with 10 Touch Points

Both computers are protected by Bitdefender Total Security. I get my Internet from Spectrum using a Spectrum Ubee Modem/Router. Both the Desktop and the Laptop are connected to the Ubee Modem/Router via the latest Ethernet Cables. I use the Ookla Internet Speed test. Ping is normally 30 on both machines. Upload Speed averages 11.0 Mbps on both machines. The average Download Speed of the Laptop is 85 Mbps. The average Download Speed of the Desktop is 220 Mbps.

I did look inside the Ethernet Network for both machines and found the Speed for the Laptop to be
100 Mbps Max. and the Speed fot the Desktop to be 1 Gbps Max. I don't know how to raise the value for the Laptop. Both machines are within 10 feet of the Modem/Router although since they are connected to it by Ethernet cables, I don't see how this could be a factor. Hopefully, one of you or more will know why I am experiencing this problem and can supply me with useful advice. TIA and Bye.

Last edited:

cwwozniak

Chuck
I did look inside the Ethernet Network for both machines and found the Speed for the Laptop to be
100 Mbps Max. I don't know how to raise the value for the Laptop.
The laptop's specifications show "10/100 Mbps Ethernet controller integrated on system board". There is no way to set a speed faster than what the hardware can support. You could look into using a gigabit-speed Ethernet adapter plugged into the laptop's USB 3.0 port.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/...iron-15-5559-laptop_reference guide_en-us.pdf

As to why you are getting an 85 Mbps download speed rather than 100Mbps, could it be that Ookla Internet Speed test is showing how fast actual data is being received rather than the raw 100Mbps speed rating of the port? There is some overhead of additional bytes of information that get sent with each packet of actual data. Some other member that is much more familiar with such things may be able to offer suggestions as to what network settings you can tweak to maximize the actual data rate.

TerryNet

Terry
With a 100 Mbps ethernet adapter you might get a little more than 85 Mbps actual data throughput, but it's hardly worth worrying about. If you are trying to do something that requires more download speed take Chuck's suggestion to add a 1000 Mbps ethernet adapter.

JimmyJoeBob1944

James
It appears that this problem has been resolved, at least for me. How do I indicate that so nobody wastes their time working on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online