1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop failing to recognize Half of RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rakeshpic6, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rakeshpic6

Rakeshpic6 Thread Starter

hi, I purchased a Inspiron laptop which has 8 gigs of RAM and Intel Core i5 8th generation processor. I purchased another 8gigs of Crucial Ram. after installing the ram the laptop was pretty fast for a couple of hours. The next morning the laptop went back to it original speed. I run Lightroom photo software, which is about 2 GB. Suspecting something is not right with the Rams I downloaded a memory test. After running the memory test I found out that laptop recognizes all 8 processors but it only keeps four of them active. Please see the attached picture from mem86 test. I just don't know why the laptop is not operating at full capacity. Thank you in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Are you saying it recognizes only 4 processors or 8 gigs of ram ? "After running the memory test I found out that laptop recognizes all 8 processors but it only keeps four of them active"

3. Rakeshpic6

Yes.. It shows just 4 of 8 CPUs as active..

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

It could just be memtest that does not use the max number of cpus.

5. Rakeshpic6

The test itself was supposed to figure out what's causing the slowdown. I'd highly doubt that it would use less CPUs than available.. having said that I still have no clue why system would be slow

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I may be way off here. But I've read that certain UEFI firmwares have issues when using multiple CPU's and thus, I believe, multiple cores. THat's why you can specify, via a cfg file, to disable multi cpu mode.
    Whether that is the issue here? I have no idea. But as for a test of the RAM I'd think the number of CPU's should be irrelevant.

Click HERE to see a page that tells you how to edit the cfg file specific to their RAM tester.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice