Laptop fan continually blasting hot air

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tanis

Shane
Can you please answer the question I raised in Post #1, which is what is the rectangular metal encased insert on the back cover? I quote, "However one thing I ascertained was that the focus of the heating through the back cover appeared to be an elongated rectangular insert which looked much like a socket (but wasn't) and was surrounded by a metal casing. You could tell it wasn't a socket as it had no holes to plug anything into. It lies towards the same corner of the laptop where the inlet and outlet of the fan are located."
Assuming you mean the bit highlighted in the picture below? This is a port to connect to a docking station, something like this.

37533347.jpg

Okay, so the dust clogging would cause the fans to run continually and faster to compensate. But what is causing the air to become so hot in the first place? I can feel a significant airflow caused by the fan.

But why is the air coming out of the fan so hot?
Assuming the issue is due to dust blocking the vents, even partially. The air gets hotter than it would normally because it can't be expelled from the case efficiently. It circulates around inside the case longer than normal and picks up more heat from the CPU and associated heat sink rather than being pushed straight out of the case.

Under normal circumstances when it is clean the fan doesn't need to work so hard (so you dont feel so much air) and that air will be cooler as it is able to pushed out of the laptop quickly and efficiently.

James321

Assuming the issue is due to dust blocking the vents, even partially. The air gets hotter than it would normally because it can't be expelled from the case efficiently. It circulates around inside the case longer than normal and picks up more heat from the CPU and associated heat sink rather than being pushed straight out of the case.

Under normal circumstances when it is clean the fan doesn't need to work so hard (so you dont feel so much air) and that air will be cooler as it is able to pushed out of the laptop quickly and efficiently.
The laptop I am using has been fully refurbished and the suppliers have informed me that as part of the refurbishment process the fan and cooling fins would have been fully dusted and the thermal paste would have been replaced.

Either the laptop suppliers are not telling the truth or an electrical component in the laptop is causing the problem and is over-heating.

Tanis

Shane
I've just put the laptop into shutdown and unplugged it and blew a lung full of air through the air inlet [putting the air inlet fully to my lips in the manner of a harmonica], and there wasn't the slightest hint of any resistance or any dust coming out of the outlet.
Doing this wouldnt get dust / dirt out of the exhaust vent, it would only blow that dust and dirt back into the laptop.

The laptop I am using has been fully refurbished and the suppliers have informed me that as part of the refurbishment process the fan and cooling fins would have been fully dusted and the thermal paste would have been replaced.

Either the laptop suppliers are not telling the truth or an electrical component in the laptop is causing the problem and is over-heating.
You hadn't mentioned this previously and seem to accept that it could be a factor. How long have you had the laptop? If it is only recently refurbished have the supplier provided any kind of limited warranty?

James321

Doing this wouldnt get dust / dirt out of the exhaust vent, it would only blow that dust and dirt back into the laptop.
No, I had actually blown directly into the inlet NOT the outlet.

Also an external examination of the cooling fins using a torch and magnifying glass did not reveal any dust build up on the fins themselves.

You hadn't mentioned this previously and seem to accept that it could be a factor. How long have you had the laptop? If it is only recently refurbished have the supplier provided any kind of limited warranty?
I got the laptop back in February so it's still in warranty.

Most likely the squirrel cage fan it’s self a
has accumulated dust over a period of time. Just look at the blades on a ceiling fan or portable box fan you will notice dirt accumulated on the blades if not cleaned regularly.

Same way with then small blades on the fan, but actually worse as it is smaller in size and dust particles are hugh to it.
while in there it is past time to clean the cooked grease off the CPU and heat sink and replace with a good quality grease.

if it’s been 10 years and just now showing problems you either don’t use it much or use it in a abnormal clean environment. Dust the components off with a fine brush while in there also. They produce heat and covered with dust makes it hard to transfer the heat from them to the outside environment.

That should fix you up. If not then unless you can troubleshoot components you will have to take it to a shop for professional repair.
Good luck

Tanis

Shane
No, I had actually blown directly into the inlet NOT the outlet.

Also an external examination of the cooling fins using a torch and magnifying glass did not reveal any dust build up on the fins themselves.

I got the laptop back in February so it's still in warranty.
If it is still under any form of warranty then that is the best route to take, get the supplier to check it you have concerns. Doing anything yourself could invalidate that warranty.

James321

If it is still under any form of warranty then that is the best route to take, get the supplier to check it you have concerns. Doing anything yourself could invalidate that warranty.
Signs of improvement.

Could the problem have fixed itself?

While using the laptop last night it seemed to be uncharacteristically slow and was stalling. So I quickly checked the internal temperature with Core Temp and the temp seemed okay. I then checked whether the CPU was busy with Task Manager and that seemed okay. But then shortly after this the computer ground to a halt and the screen completely froze. The computer was not responding in anyway at all and I couldn't help thinking "Well that's it! It's broken!"

I forced a shutdown and the computer seemed to reboot okay but was still labouring for sometime after this. However gradually the PC seemed to return to normal and was no longer labouring.

However one important change that has occurred, the laptop is no longer blasting out hot air, but the air is now only vaguely warm and the fan is no longer on continually but will switch itself off now and then.

The only thing I did different last night that I can think of is that I downloaded the latest update of the Firefox browser. And coincidentally I was using the Firefox browser when the computer froze.

Could this mean that the original problem was actually a software issue and not hardware? Had some microchip been affected by a "bug"?

What are your opinions?

Tanis

Shane
Its a possibility, not something I have come across specifically.

See how it goes from now (y)

Couriant

James
That is a possibility that software was taxing the CPU so much it was causing more heating than usual.

The fan seems to be working as it would normally do.

James321

That is a possibility that software was taxing the CPU so much it was causing more heating than usual.

Everything still seems to be functioning as normal again.

If some process was over-using the CPU, it wasn't showing up in Task Manager. However I've noticed previously that TM sometimes misses things.

James321

The fan seems to be functioning as normal, however some activities generate more heat than others, but at least the fan isn't on continually.

However I've now had the following problem three times: A bluescreen message appears saying the computer has encountered a problem and needs to be shut down. There then follows the following message:

ERROR
0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0
ERROR
2100: HDD0 (Hard disk drive) initialization error (4)
Press <F1> to Setup

Pressing <F1> causes the screen to clear and a large padlock icon appears in the top left of the screen. I don't know how to proceed from here so I force a shutdown and the PC seems to restart as normal.

I've run a Check Disk on Glary Utilities and it didn't find any errors.

Is this caused by overheating? I myself didn't think it was as the air coming out of the fan is now only mildly warm at worst.

James321

Another thing I've noticed is that a light is lit on the PC indicating it is busy and the PC makes a series of clicking noises indicating the same, but if you look under Task Manager the PC is almost completely idle. At these times the fan is also on, producing mildly warm air, which again would suggest the PC were active even though it's not showing up under TM.

plodr

Liz
The hard drive is failing. You have 3 indications of this:
Failure Fixed Disk 0
(Hard disk drive) initialization error
the PC makes a series of clicking noises

James321

The hard drive is failing. You have 3 indications of this:
Failure Fixed Disk 0
(Hard disk drive) initialization error
the PC makes a series of clicking noises
Wouldn't this show up under Check Disk?

What other checks are available to confirm this?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online