Laptop Fan noisy and spins constantly, PC warmer than normal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

utmisra

Hi

I'm using an HP Pavillion notebook Intel Core i5-3230M with Windows 10.1.

I haven't installed any new hardware or software recently. But the fan has been suddenly spinning excessively and making a lot of noise. The laptop is also warmer than usual.

I want to try other solutions before trying to update the BIOS (I have yet to check whether there is an update available).

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

I doubt a bios update will help, sounds like the heatsink and fan assembly is clogged with dust, very common issue. usually a good blowout with compressed air can help. If you order a can of compressed air, locate the vents around the back and sides of your laptop then blow the air into the vents, it should clear the dust that is causing it to overheat. Basically what is happening is, the fan is trying to blow the hot air through the vents, however as the vents are blocked the air is being trapped and the CPU cannot cool down efficiently or enough for the CPU fan to slow down. prolonged overheating will cause the thermal compound (which I assume is the poor quality one) to degrade or if you have thermal pads they will degrade. So the sooner you perform the clean out the better, otherwise it will require you to disassemble the machine to replace the thermal material.

Go get some compressed air.

OverTallman

Jacky
I doubt a bios update will help, sounds like the heatsink and fan assembly is clogged with dust, very common issue. usually a good blowout with compressed air can help. If you order a can of compressed air, locate the vents around the back and sides of your laptop then blow the air into the vents, it should clear the dust that is causing it to overheat. Basically what is happening is, the fan is trying to blow the hot air through the vents, however as the vents are blocked the air is being trapped and the CPU cannot cool down efficiently or enough for the CPU fan to slow down. prolonged overheating will cause the thermal compound (which I assume is the poor quality one) to degrade or if you have thermal pads they will degrade. So the sooner you perform the clean out the better, otherwise it will require you to disassemble the machine to replace the thermal material.

Go get some compressed air.
That's a short term fix at best, the blown dust still stays in the fan, and sooner or later it'll just clog up the vents on the heatsink like before. Also the thermal paste, which should be already hardened, is left untouched.

I always disassemble the heatsink and take out the dust, sometimes I can remove a thick layer of dust dangling on the heatsink vent. Throughly brush off the fan and heatsink, remove the old paste and reapplied a new layer. Put it back together and all good.

Yeah it's a real hassle, but well worth the trouble.

Agreed, however sometimes, especially if the problem has just started a good blast of air can remove the majority of offending dust, my approach is always to dismantle and clean too, however not everyone is competent at performing this task.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts