1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop fan not working properly

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Spider-Abu, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spider-Abu

Spider-Abu Thread Starter

Hey TSG! I wanted to post this question in the Hardware section, but it was related to my recent upgrade to Windows 7 so I decided to post it here. So it has been about a month since I got my Vista home 64bit upgraded to W7 home 64bit using the upgrade CD sent buy the Gateway Free W7 offer. It works really well, and I got some ups and downs in fps in various games. But the most annoying thing that went wrong is that my laptop starts heating too quickly and the games start to lag. The fan used to work perfectly before in Vista, but now I hardly hear it giving gushing sound as it cools down the lappy. I thought that the problem might be with the bios not being fully compatible with W7, so I checked Gateway's website for W7 drivers for my laptop. And sure enough, there was one, but it wouldn't install and give me this weird error. Gateway support was no help, but in the forums, I found a huge thread containing all the drivers for the P78 series laptops, but fixed and edited by this high tech guy so they would install properly. And I found the latest bios driver for my laptop in there edited by him (he stated that he added some extra files which were missing in the original package) and it actually installed perfectly on my laptop. But after my 3rd day living with this update, I regret it. My laptop overheats way too fast now, and I can hardly play anything for more than an hour(used to play perfectly before for about 2-3 hours before overheating before the bios update, and never overheated in Vista before). So now I am wondering if you guyz can help me rollback my bios update because I think that messed things even more up(overheating ofcourse) and if maybe there is a fix for my fan problem, because I hardly hear the fan moving and cooling anymore. Here are my computer specs:

Computer full name: Gateway FX P-7803h

Manufacturer: Gateway

Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~4.0GHz

Memory: Samsung 4GB DDR3 RAM

Hard Drive: 500 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS 1GB DDR3

Sound Card: Speakers (Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221)

Motherboard: Gateway IMV

PS: The bios update I wanted to download from the drivers for m y comp was P78_BIOS_IMV3532_9C.20.00_x64, but I got it in .rar format(the guy packed it with winrar) and it was called 9C.20 Working.rar, here is the link to that forum page(first post):
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=303626&page=144

Thanks for your time, hopefully you will be able to help me. :) For further info, just ask me. ;)

2. Spider-Abu

"BUMP" can sombody help?

3. unbidden

unbidden

On some bios updates there are instructions for saving the old bios. What you have is Win 7 installed over the top of Vista; plus a computer updated with unsigned drivers. If it were me I'd begin a detailed backup of all critical data, reformat and install Win 7 fresh using the drivers provided from Gateway.

Now could the fan be malfunctioning? http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    I don't know if SF works on Win 7.

4. SemiCharmed

SemiCharmed

You could try:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speedfan/

I did some searching and found that your issue is quite common and 1 or two people have said this worked/helped

I don't think it will be a solution that will get the fan to how you remember it but may do the job, if not help keep it cooler than it is now until a permanent solution is found.

Hope that works/helps

EDIT: It would seem someone beat me to it lol

5. Spider-Abu

Thanks for your replys, guyz! I forgot to tell you that I already tried SF before, but I couldn't see anything about my fans being detected or anything in it...so I thought maybe it's because it doesn't detect my fans or something. The only option on the first page of the prog regarding fans is "Automatically adjust my fan speed. now I deleted that that prog after 15 minutes last time. :p but this time, I am gonna play games with that option on and see if it really works. Now, also I was thinking of doing the reformat thingy unbidden suggested, but I couldn't fit all my data on my usb or something because it's about 40gb worth of space. So i wondered if maybe I should make a partitian in my HD for about 50 GB and keep my files in there while I reformate my main partition and install a fresh copy of W7. But the problem is, the partition manager only allows me to free up about 600mb out of the 203GB available space from a total of about 500GB HD. This is a big problem, because I wanted to do a dual boot too with XP, but it doesn't let me create 1GB worth of partition! HEELPPP!! :p Also, I am going to report my resaults of SF after a few hours...

EDIT: No, SF didn't make any difference. So can you guyz help me with the partition problem? Please? Thanks...

6. unbidden

unbidden

I suggest you don't mess with partitioning and dual booting until you have the data backed up.

Is there another computer in your place of residence that you can network to?

7. Spider-Abu

Yes, I do have many computers, and laptops that I can network to, or transfer files to. I just thought that maybe it's easier with just partitioning, and the dual boot would be good to running XP along with W7...for extra fps in gaming... Ok, I will go and back up my files on another computer's hard drive and reformat...Thanks for all your help!
    Now if only you guyz could help me with my other topic... :)

PS: I am not going to mark this thread as Solved, until I do the reformatting thing...and get the fan problem worked out.

8. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Do you have the proper chipset driver?
    Does sleep work?...is that option missing?
    In power options{control panel}..do you have the advanced power options available ?

9. Spider-Abu

Yes sleep works and is available, I also have advanced power options availabe(they show only once you click on "Change plan settings" for your selected power plan. eg:High Performance, Power Saver etc..). But I am not sure what you mean by proper chipset driver. I have updated everything according to the W7 update tool which came with the CD, and have only updated my GFX driver, audio driver, and bios driver. So can you explain for me what is the chipset driver, and where should I get it? Thanks. :)

10. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

The chipset driver is obtained from the pc manufacturer,
    Being you have to the options listed for sleep etc...you are good on the chipset driver..

one thing you can try however is make sure you are set to balanced for power scheme and cooling policy is set to active

Attached Files:

11. Spider-Abu

I am always on high performance since Balanced power plan decreases my fps in games. And also, my fan is always active on all the plans, but I just noticed with speedfan that it's my GFX card that gets really hot, and my HDD comes in second place..does this mean that my GFX fan might not be working properly or something? or does it not have a fan at all? hmm....

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice